The growing cost of automotive and airplane travel has recently made railroads a more attractive transportation option. In the golden age of railroading, wealthy captains of industry often had their own private train cars that would be hitched to passenger trains and used to carry them from city to city. Most modern railroads retain the provisions to carry private cars at costs of mere cents per mile, making the private railcar a cost-effective, comfortable, and scenic alternative to most other transport methods. CPRR1 combines a powerful, state-of-the-art diesel propulsion system with opulent quarters and amenities for an extended stay by one to three people as well as a train crew of one or two.

CPRR1 is a private luxury traincar meant to be used for short- to long-term journeys. The first preliminary designs for CPRR1 were drawn up around 1997 during the design of the Central Park Railroad (CPRR), meant to be a global rail system linking and incorporating many current rail systems and providing a unified rail network for passenger and freight transportation across town or across the world. CPRR1 was intended as my own private train car. The first designs connected two 40-foot sections with an articulated hallway, similar to the design of some short-distance commuter buses, but that design was eventually discarded as impractical. CPRR1 evolved into its current form, an 80-foot long, 10-foot wide car incorporating a cab and motive power in the front 20 feet, a sitting room occupying the next 20 feet, and bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom in the back half.

I've detailed my plans for CPRR1 in a technical report with fifteen renders and associated descriptions. Enjoy!

CPRR1: A Modern Private Luxury Railroad Car and Locomotive

wow Kerm, that's really cool! I'm amazed at how in depth you went into this
Eeems wrote:
wow Kerm, that's really cool! I'm amazed at how in depth you went into this
Thanks, I try not to skimp on the detail when I attempt something like this. Smile Glad you enjoyed it.
Not enough bling for a luxury traincar Bad Idea
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Not enough bling for a luxury traincar Bad Idea
Define bling that you would like in your luxury traincar. Maybe I want that bling too. Very Happy
Fair enough. Chandeliers, period chairs, silverware, and gild ceilings are doable, but might be a bit too ostentatious, don't you think? I'll give you that those are more opulent chairs than I was using, but I think the gilt and mirrored ceilings might be a bit over the top.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours