DHCPgen is a PHP package to manage ISC DHCPD configuration files, much as programs like phpMyAdmin manage the contents of MySQL databases through a web interface. DHCPgen is unique in that it not only stores and organizes data and generates dhcpd.conf files, it can also automatically install such files, make sure that the update succeeded, and revert the change if it failed for some reason. In addition, it has been carefully written to permit updating a DHCP server running on either a local or remote machine, particularly important if your webserver and your DHCP server are separate physical or virtual machines. Please help me to debug it by downloading and installing DHCPgen!

You can download it at the link below; the README and the install.php script should take care of all of your questions, but of course post in the attached topic with any feedback and comments and suggestions. Oh, and screenshots are at the link below too.

DHCPgen Beta 1

Since you are all far too lazy to actually test this out, I put it on a bunch of Gentoo and Ubuntu systems and ran it through its paces. I was happier with its performance on Gentoo than on Ubuntu, but it seemed to work fine for both, and also worked for both a single system running Apache and DHCPd, and two machines, one running Apache, the other running DHCPd. I want to add a search feature, which should be useful for larger tables, then I will finalize the design and release 1.0 RC1. I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone here who uses DHCPd in a production environment and would be willing to give it a spin.
Hey, you never tested kllrix, so I didn't test DHCPgen :p

Honestly I just have no use for DHCPgen, hence I didn't try it Smile I'm not really sure how its useful or what benefits it offers...
Kllrnohj wrote:
Hey, you never tested kllrix, so I didn't test DHCPgen :p

Honestly I just have no use for DHCPgen, hence I didn't try it Smile I'm not really sure how its useful or what benefits it offers...
It's useful for people managing DHCP lists involing lots of machines and/or subnets who don't feel like dealing with a monolithic text file and the very real possibility that a typo could take down the network for a minute or two.
I had to google to figure out what DHCP was...
Sorry.
foamy3 wrote:
Sorry.

O_o someone hasn't spent much time playing around on a network.
KermMartian wrote:
It's useful for people managing DHCP lists involing lots of machines and/or subnets who don't feel like dealing with a monolithic text file and the very real possibility that a typo could take down the network for a minute or two.

All my machines have dynamic IPs on the local network using standard DHCP. Any machine I want to have a static IP (such as my servers), are set to be given the same IP by the router by MAC address (configured in the router)

Thus, I have no DHCP lists to worry about Smile
Right, because your network is small enough that your router is your DHCP server. Smile The network I used to manage here is large enough that we need a dedicated machine to do DHCP and DNS.
elfprince13 wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Sorry.

O_o someone hasn't spent much time playing around on a network.

Never one with more than 2 computers until this semester. Even now, it's just my router, my desktop, and 3 wireless laptops.
OK, I did a ton of debugging on various distros and systems, added some more debug info for failed config file installing, added a search feature, so I think this is just about ready to go. Is it worth it to go the RC route, or should I just jump straight into 1.0?
KermMartian wrote:
OK, I did a ton of debugging on various distros and systems, added some more debug info for failed config file installing, added a search feature, so I think this is just about ready to go. Is it worth it to go the RC route, or should I just jump straight into 1.0?

Just use major.minor.maintenance version numbering. I don't think you have enough people testing to warrant a full fledged RC
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Just use major.minor.maintenance version numbering. I don't think you have enough people testing to warrant a full fledged RC
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. I'll pack it up, update the readme, and get this show on the road. Might as well right a quick tutorial for using it, too, and post it up here so that people know it exists

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours