*bump*

So I made some progress on the lighting part of PartyMode (ie, the non-computer assist for DiscoScreens). I built the light output part of one RGB module. Each of R, G, and B consists of three parallel neon bulbs; in tests, I found I had to sink them to avoid excessive heating leading to catastrophic failure at high intensities. The bulb assemblies before mounting in their respective heatsinks:

Mounted into heatsinks, rear view:

Mounted into heatsinks, front view:

At full 9.0V, 2.7A total (0.3A per bulb), what I'm using as my maximum intensity / load:

At half intensity (around 6V), with room lights on.
*bump* Just wired up a 7-module controller; will post up pictures/videos of it in action as soon as I complete four more modules and figure out where I want to put them
*bump* After extensive testing (2+ weeks of frequent use) I have determined that the light modules are non-optimal for power vs. lumens vs. lifespan. They get extremely hot at the voltage and current required for halfway decent light output, which I discovered can make them fail catastrophically after extended use. Indeed, they tend to dim over time as the sheer power running through them gradually melts the filament. I will be exploring alternate sources including bigger bulbs and high-current LEDs.
*bump* Still exploring alternate lighting modules; only one of seven has not failed at this point. I rewired the rear speakers this evening, putting another 4.2 back online. The current total is 22.4 speakers, with 4.1 still waiting to be connected to amps. There are an additional 2.2 that need enclosures and amplifiers.

Current Logo: http://www.cemetech.net/img/logo/mss224xb.png

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours