yeah, for about 10 seconds. If only though.
well, letsee.... the core 2 quad will prolly take ~100 watts, the dual 8800gtx's are in the ~300-400w range... So yeah, the 4 AAA batteries will power it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5ms - at least, thats my guesstimate Very Happy
Dude...a power-supply unit + a really long cord = total pwnage......
...then there's just the heat issue and space - lets see you figure out how to cram an 8800GTX into a TI calculator case - seeing as the card itself is longer than the calculator
Hello? Enormous heat sinks and fans? A case mod? Rolling Eyes

(The calculator could then easily just be carried around in a wheelbarrow)

Just Joking
psh, might as well just get a laptop w/ SLI and RAID Razz (then it has the advantage of a color screen with a resolution a bit higher than 92x64 or whatever the 83/84 screen is)

Just imagine the levels of grayscale you could get with a DX10 card, though.... Evil or Very Mad
96x64.

You couldn't put in your 'fridge to get better grayscale though. Sad
I happen to be a student with a TI 83Plus Graphing Calculator

Have you posted any how-to DIY for this. I would love to know how to use a mouse and keyboard with my Calculator.
BigBubbaX wrote:
I happen to be a student with a TI 83Plus Graphing Calculator

Have you posted any how-to DIY for this. I would love to know how to use a mouse and keyboard with my Calculator.
The keyboard and mouse on their own don't require a ton of skills; you can do the mod as a completely external module, which is easy, or make it internal, which is significantly more finicky and requires you to be more confident in your modding and soldering skills. Which do you think you'll be doing?
KermMartian wrote:

The keyboard and mouse on their own don't require a ton of skills; you can do the mod as a completely external module, which is easy, or make it internal, which is significantly more finicky and requires you to be more confident in your modding and soldering skills. Which do you think you'll be doing?

Thanks for replying.
External, My soldering isn't that amazing and I already filled up most of the inside space by trying to add a backlight.

*Edit*
Actually, I found a way to push the backlight onto a smaller circuit.
Also, My TI 83+ has a weird serial port (thing Confused) which I took out, that adds some space.
If you don't mind, what do the two internal/external options entail?
The internal one means you'll need to drill a hole for the PS/2 port, soldering on to the battery terminals, and solder on to the I/O port pads. For external, you'll need a unit-to-unit I/O cable to cut apart (or a 2.5mm stereo plug), an external battery pack, and a PS/2 port. For both you should also have a 5.1V zener diode and a switch of some sort.

Edit: I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of this weird serial port "thing" you speak of...
KermMartian wrote:

Edit: I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of this weird serial port "thing" you speak of...

I'd like to make this an internal mod. I *might* be able to get a circuit that can run both the backlights and ps/2 port.

Here is a link to the pics of the port.

http://bigbero.googlepages.com/calculator

It is a small rectangular area on the back of the calculator, I think its weird because:
1. My sister has the same calculator (TI 83+) its newer, but doesn't have the port.
2. It keeps my calculator from sliding back into the cover. The front cover will slide onto the front when I'm not using it, but it wont reverse and slide onto the back like the other calculators because of the port.

One explanation I came up with is that it is a 'teacher' calc. because last year one of my teachers had an overhead projector calculator screen (external screen) that hooked up to her calculator used a port *I think* just like this.
Yup, that's the ViewScreen interface board. Nice find.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

Quote:
And whats with the PS/2 port? Is it angled weird?

probably because the mouse will be going around the bottom part of the calc, to the right hand side, therefore it is angled to the right, as not to slide the calc around the table when a little tension is put on the mouse chord =P

It could be because there is a screw that holds it together right there and its angled to avoid it?
KermMartian wrote:

Would that be something I'd like to keep attached or put away?

Sorry for the ignorance but what's a zener diode Question
BigBubbaX wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Would that be something I'd like to keep attached or put away?

Sorry for the ignorance but what's a zener diode Question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

In short, it's used as a cheap voltage regulator. If you feed it v>=5.8 volts, it outputs exactly 5.1 volts. If you feed it v<5.8 volts, it outputs v-0.7 volts, within certain limits.
KermMartian wrote:

In short, it's used as a cheap voltage regulator. If you feed it v>=5.8 volts, it outputs exactly 5.1 volts. If you feed it v<5.8 volts, it outputs v-0.7 volts, within certain limits.

would this work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049726

I have the VeiwScreen port put away. I'll use the extra room for other stuff.

Would scavenging a ps/2 port off of a old computer work?
BigBubbaX wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

would this work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049726

I have the VeiwScreen port put away. I'll use the extra room for other stuff.

Would scavenging a ps/2 port off of a old computer work?
That would work beautifully. IIRC you also need a 1K resistor, lemme double-check that. I agree you should remove the ViewScreen board and PCB.
About adding a ps/2:

I'm guessing that the I/O port pads are the metal leads off of the 2.5 data jack.

would modifying a keyboard to have a 2.5 mm jack work? that way The keyboard would just use the existing 2.5mmm data port on the calculator. (I know it probably won't work, considering that the keyboard/mouse would need power from somewhere. Just throwing an idea out there)
BigBubbaX wrote:
About adding a ps/2:

I'm guessing that the I/O port pads are the metal leads off of the 2.5 data jack.

would modifying a keyboard to have a 2.5 mm jack work? that way The keyboard would just use the existing 2.5mmm data port on the calculator. (I know it probably won't work, considering that the keyboard/mouse would need power from somewhere. Just throwing an idea out there)
If you could embed a battery pack (four AAAs or AAs would do it) in a keyboard and/or mouse, that would work fine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours