So I wanted to find out what I could port my CHIP-8 & SuperChip-8 interpreter/emulator, Chip-84 to. My first idea was the Nintendo DS, but then I remembered this 3D NES emulator I saw one time made in Unity, so then I decided to start there! So far the project basically works exactly as Chip-84 does without all the settings and UI, but hey it's 3D. I plan on adding local file selection, settings, and maybe more ways to view the emulator.

Looks very nice! What is your method for rendering each pixel/cube in Unity? Indication on speed?

I really like the 3D NES type effect stuff Smile.
Now I've made some different viewing modes! There's an old CRT TV option with a TV I modeled and textured myself with a screen that has certain characteristics of an old TV like scanlines, motion blur, fuzziness, and that sickening subtle flashing when you get close to one. The other viewing option is a 3D rectangle with the screen rendered on it.

Here's the TV mode:

tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks very nice! What is your method for rendering each pixel/cube in Unity? Indication on speed?

I really like the 3D NES type effect stuff Smile.

I'm actually using a very inefficient way of drawing pixels Razz : each pixel is a cube that gets activated/deactivated each time the draw flag is set to on. The speed for this however is great despite the terrible way of doing things
Very nice, it looks great - and if it runs well then all is well! I suppose the resolution helps too Smile.
That's some pretty neat stuff! Is this downloadable from anywhere? Smile
Now I made a street sign display mode! It's a pretty perfect place to put a CHIP-8 emulator huh Razz

MateoConLechuga wrote:
That's some pretty neat stuff! Is this downloadable from anywhere? Smile

Thank you! I'll release it sooner or later once I add more stuff to it like more options and viewing modes.
Lol that is both impressive and insane Smile.

Do you model all of the 3D stuff yourself?
tr1p1ea wrote:
0x5 that is both impressive and insane Smile.

Do you model all of the 3D stuff yourself?

Thank you! Yes I've modeled and textured everything myself excluding the procedural Unity generated things like terrain and the trees.
Wow that's pretty creative! It'd be really neat if you could work this into a VR game!
Oh lord, VR Chip84... now that is the future of gaming Razz.
Well I added some finishing touches to the game and released it on GameJolt. I'll most likely put it on Github too when I have the time, but for now go check it out!

EDIT: Now the source is up (https://github.com/ckosmic/chip-84-3d)!
Ported it to NDS, gonna change the title of the topic
How did you port it to NDS? Is it in the form of homebrew and must be loaded via flashcart?
Ah yes, the NDS! I love developing for that system. In fact, the CE C toolchain was kind of modeled after it Razz
LAX18 wrote:
How did you port it to NDS? Is it in the form of homebrew and must be loaded via flashcart?

There's this amazing toolchain called devkitPro which is used to make mainly NDS homebrew games but it's also used for Wii, 3DS, Gamecube, Switch and more. And yeah I had to use my R4 card throughout the whole thing because I couldn't get FAT filesystems to work on desmume. Very tedious Razz

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Ah yes, the NDS! I love developing for that system. In fact, the CE C toolchain was kind of modeled after it Razz

I thought I noticed some similarities between the two!
ckosmic wrote:
[And yeah I had to use my R4 card throughout the whole thing because I couldn't get FAT filesystems to work on desmume.

As I recall, NO$GBA is the best imho Razz
I haven't been working on it much, but I just published the source code for Chip-84 DS on Github (https://github.com/ckosmic/chip-84-ds).

EDIT: I've now got it to run in Scratch... kind of. Just letting you know, Scratch is sometimes wayyy harder than other programming languages especially when it comes to translating one that counts from 0 to one that counts from 1 and has limited things to use.
Finally got it to work enough on Scratch to share it! Wow what a pain that was. It still doesn't work as well as the other ports because of how inaccurate it is and it's also really slow. But anyway, here it is if anyone wants to check it out! Very Happy

Wow, that's really impressive! I use to code in Scratch too, I took a look at your source code and it's quite a mess complex! I think you may have outdone me with my glitchy portal game! Razz
What do you plan on porting it to next?
How about a microwave? : P
TheLastMillennial wrote:
I took a look at your source code and it's quite a mess complex!

Thank you! And yeah it's so messy and laggy I can barely see what's happening sometimes.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
What do you plan on porting it to next?

I was thinking of porting it to a Discord bot which I've never done before, but I've seen someone port DOOM to a Discord bot that outputs ASCII characters so it might just be possible...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours