I am wondering when doors cse will come out for the TI 84 plus CE
Please take a look at the similarly-titled topic "they need to make a doors for the plus CE":
KermMartian wrote:
"They" is "me" (and the esteemed Patrick "tr1p1ea" Prendergast"), and I want to make Doors for the TI-84 Plus CE. However, as I've said in other threads, I need a special number from TI called a signing key to be able to make Doors CSE for the TI-84 Plus CE. As soon as I can, I'll be porting it, TI willing. Smile

I am working very hard to persuade our friends at TI that releasing the key to me and/or the community is a good idea for the additional breadth and depth of tools it will allow TI-84 Plus CE owners, students and programmers alike, to use.
I have been wondering the same thing, but I believe there are a couple things holding Kerm up from making it happen as a Flash application. Im by no means "well versed" in what he and other assembly developers do, but I think there is a "key" that he doesnt have yet, that is necessary for development there (to make it a Flash app).

I also tend not to ask for ETAs, as that just frustrates developers. Im an Android ROM developer (solo, and part of several teams), so I know how irritating it gets when someone asks ME for an ETA of my next public release.

If Kerm would like to mention something about it, Im sure we would all like to know. But if not, just be patient. It will come.....eventually.

Of course, it seems that WHILE I was typing, Kerm already replied. Nice timing.

While you mentined it again, Im curious. How/why did they give you the key for the CSE? Any reason why the did or didnt?
BlackOnyx wrote:
While you mentined it again, Im curious. How/why did they give you the key for the CSE? Any reason why the did or didnt?
TI never gave the community the key for the CSE, nor did they release an SDK for the calculator. We believe that shortly after the release of the CSE, it became apparent that it had significant speed shortcomings, and development effort shifted to the CE.
So wait, how did you manage to make DSCE then? Im assuming that whatever method you used for that, wont work with the CE?

Im trying to learn a little here as well. Im 33, and been in computers almost my whole life. Just never pushed beyond the TI-BASIC side of programming on calcs.
Iirc, DCS8 was made because the Key was factored by a member here. I think it was similar to the 84+ key, so factoring was almost trivial.

Again, iirc, the CE key has 4x as may bits at the CSE key, so factoring would take decades.
Hmmmmm, you basically have my interest peaked. Razz Kind of makes me want to know how to find it. Id take a crack at it, if I knew the process. If nothing else, a learning experience.
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/factoring/nfs_beginners_guide.html remains a good resource. Number Field Sieve keeps being the fastest algorithm to factor "large" integers which are known not to have small factors.

We used the information on that page in 2009, for factoring the 512-bit RSA public keys of TI-Z80 and TI-68k calculators. In 2009, factoring 512-bit RSA keys was already in the realm of solo factorization, as shown by Benjamin Moody.
In order to speed up the process of factoring remaining relevant 512-bit RSA public keys, the RSALS BOINC grid was built up by the French scene at yAronet (idea: Godzil IIRC, implementation: squalyl). That was before activity on yAronet was destroyed by the most poisonous person in the community.
For reasons I've long forgotten (why me instead of anyone else ? I know that I had some free time, and I was probably trustworthy), I got to be the backup admin of RSALS. Later, I entered the vast majority of numbers, and acted as its public face, for all of its life after the fantastic tool had outlived its initial purpose, and was repurposed to factor integers of mathematical interest Smile

Amusingly, the move of amateurs building a BOINC grid to distribute the sieving phase of the Number Field Sieve algorithm caught the integer factoring community off-guard. They had already performed harder factorizations for years before the advent of RSALS, but never through such work distribution software.
Greg "frmky" Childers, who had already helped us post-processing some of the RSA keys, very soon created NFS@Home. RSALS and NFS@Home shared the factoring duties for several years (smaller numbers for RSALS, larger numbers for NFS@Home), before we shut down RSALS. NFS@Home broke factoring records for a public effort, though the post-processing phase of the most difficult tasks required academic-scale resources.
A piece of the RSALS infrastructure lives on NFS@Home: the Web interface made by squalyl for me, for entering numbers and sieving ranges into a database, which is read by the work unit (WU) generation system. From that Web interface, we can commandeer hundreds of GFLOPS on average, peaking above 2 TFLOPS shortly before we shut RSALS down and some people who had never heard about it before went all-out for the stats. Too bad the poor little server didn't have enough disk space for handling so much post-processing output at once, and therefore, I had to starve clients part-time... I'm sure we could have gone quite a bit higher than that Smile

There also exist semi-turnkey resources such as Tom Ritter's cloud-and-control. If I had to factor new 512-bit RSA keys myself, and could leverage reliable hosts, I'd probably build the sieving process on a Gearman server, and Perl or Node.js/io.js scripts for queuing jobs and spawning sieving tasks.

1024-bit RSA keys are likely to be publicly factored by 5 years for now (that's what the leading researchers behind the factorization of RSA-768, in 2006-2009, predicted), but 2048-bit RSA keys aren't going to be factored in the foreseeable future, unless there's an unlikely algorithmic breakthrough. By now, NFS has remained the best generic integer factoring [algorithm] for over 20 years...
If computing power continues to advance at the pace it did in the 2000s, then factoring TI's 2048-bit keys should be become possible around the year 2030. Unfortunately, the classic VLSI silicon transistor technology of the past 40 years cannot continue to advance at its current pace. By the year 2020, we will have discovered how to make silicon transistors as small as the laws of physics allow, so it will no longer be possible to fit more transistors onto the same size CPU die, which is important because the cost of a CPU depends significantly on the physical CPU die size. Still, 50 years of Moore's Law is pretty impressive.

Some possible successors to classic VLSI silicon transistor technology include:
* Memristors, which can likely be built with minimal modification to existing IC fabrication technologies. Memristor computing has been proposed as a successor to classic silicon transistors that could provide significant performance advantages for certain applications, though I'm not sure integer factorization is one of them.
* Alternative CPU transistor chemistries, like GaAs and germanium. The limitations of alternatives have yet to be overcome. For example, GaAs can operate at over 250 GHz, but GaAs transistors generate much more waste heat, so GaAs-based chips can only have a very small number of transistors before they overheat, limiting its use to optical (LEDs, camera sensors, solar cells) and radio technologies (Wifi and other frequencies above 5 GHz).
* Carbon nanotube- and graphene-based transistors. Currently, carbon-based systems do not exhibit a bandgap, which current digital circuits require.
* Photonic computing
* Quantum computing, which would kill existing encryption systems, and often requires cryo-cooling and/or is even more sensitive to manufacturing defects than silicon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours