Hello,

I'm trying to simply rename an application I frequently use on my calculator (TI-84+).
I read this post about renaming applications, which got me started.
After opening the application in a text editor or in a hex editor, I found the name to be on the first line of code in plain text (along with some other garbage text) while the other lines are all intel hex code lines.
Editing the name in the first line gave me nothing, no namechange in the calculator, no errors whatsoever. (Would be to good/easy to be true Rolling Eyes )

So after some more reading, I figured out that the name is embedded in the first line of intel hex code. I tried modifying the intel hex code and then signing this hex line with the correct checksum (last two characters) using BrandonW's 'FixIntelHex' program.
At first I thought this was it, but TI Connect gives me an error while sending it to the device ("Flash application has a bad signature").

Then I found an applications (8xk file) is actually a signed 'raw' intel hex file. I tried to build an application (using basicbuilder) which gave me an .hex output (only intel hex lines), then signing it using 'wappsign', which in return gave me an 8xk file (with the first line of garbage + name and longer intel hex lines).
I'm starting to doubt whether is possible to edit a signed 8xk file.

Can anyone give me a helping hand in this?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis
Nevermind, I got it working.

For those interested:

Using rabbitsign to resign the modified 8xk file.
cmd: rabbitsign.exe -r -g {edited8xk}.8xk

-r to resign
-g to ensure the GraphLink TIFL format is used
Yep, that's what I was going to suggest that you do; kudos for figuring it out on your own. On the other hand, I was also going to ask you why you wanted to rename the App, out of concern that you were trying to rename something like the ZoomMath app a more innocuous name, like French or SciTools.
I like to figure things out on my own, makes for a better challenge.
My goal was to get a better order in the 'apps' list on my calculator, although I understand this could be used for such purposes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours