So, I've been in the market for a new laptop, I've gotten fed up with my old mac. This laptop has to be under 450 dollars and be able to run Minecraft and other semi 3D games. I, of course, want it to be good for coding. Wink (And I don't want it to be a tablet like the Surface)

The specs I want to get:
::Intel core i5 or i7 or the equivalent AMD processor.
::More than 5 GB of RAM
::4 hour= battery life
::Graphics card

I have looked around the interwebs, I am I currently looking at this Lenovo.

What do you think? Please post any thoughts you have!

EDIT: Just noticed that if I only want 500GB of storage I will have enough for a CE!!!
Don't know how old that model is, but make sure it doesn't have Superfish.
elfprince13 wrote:
Don't know how old that model is, but make sure it doesn't have Superfish.

EDIT: Nevermind, there is a removal tool
Unicorn wrote:
EDIT: Just noticed that if I only want 500GB of storage I will have enough for a CE!!!

Just my personal opinion, but is there a reason why you want 500GB? I down graded to 128GB and I haven't regretted it. It helps me keep the things I need on my computer, and I still have room for games (like Civ V and Portal). However, it appears there aren't many laptops with smaller HDD sizes with a cheaper price.

Secondly, and this may just be my lack of knowledge with computer internals but, 6GB of RAM is a rather weird number. That means you have a 2GB and 4GB RAM sticks in there and that isn't really ideal. I would recommend finding a computer with 4GB or 8GB of RAM. Also, the Lenovo you linked has a 2GB Radeon GPU, which should be enough power to play the "semi-3D" games you want that you could drop down to 4GB of RAM. To contradict myself, I'm a firm believer of more RAM and would certainly opt for 8GB.

Thirdly, the 500GB version of your laptop is on a lightning sale. So, it won't be $409 for ever. I doubt it'll go back to $1000, but it'll probably be $430 or something after the sale, at which point you might as well get the 1TB.
I don't want 500 GB, it was just the option.
http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/L50/L50D-BST2NX1
Has 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive.
That one I probably will not be getting because the Lenovo has better specs than the Toshiba aside from RAM, and I don't need a 1TB HDD. The Lenovo is also cheaper.
bump

So, after some research I think I am either going to get The first listed i7 or the first listed i5

Would the i5 effect my performance very much for what I want to do?
Unicorn wrote:
So, after some research...

[....]

Would the i5 effect my performance very much for what I want to do?

Sounds like you have more research to do. Wink

In my personal opinion, if you can afford more power do it. I maxed out my computer when I bought it and I haven't had to purchase a new one in 4 years and I'll likely go strong for another 3. But, I don't use this computer for anything intensive like gaming, so a Quad Core i7 is more than enough for photo editing and light web development in the foreseeable future.

In your situation, the i5 is acceptable. The laptop comes with a GPU so the CPU won't be doing a lot of work but it will still be doing something. The thing with i5's is that - to my knowledge - they only support 4 threads. So if you have a dual core i5, you can support 4 threads via hyper threading. Whereas a quad core i5 will still support 4. With the i7 it's two threads per core. So a quad-core i7 will support 8 threads. Of course, the software you use will have to be coded to allow multi-threaded operations.
I'll see if I can pull together and extra 50 dollars to get that extra computing power.
Remember, you're buying this for games too and you're buying a laptop, $50 here will only take you so far. $50 for an increased CPU isn't going to be significant. You're better off saving the $50 and putting it towards a new laptop in 2-3 years when the GPU is under powered for the new "semi-3D" games.

Or, save that $50 towards a desktop which you can upgrade. The GPU will certainly age faster than the CPU. Also, just because you have the money for something doesn't mean you can afford it. Pooling/Pulling money together in an attempt to afford something isn't a smart idea financially. It's bad practice. I'll refrain from going on about financial responsibility but start practicing this early so it's easier later in life where it counts.

Now, you'll be perfectly happy with an i5.
Yeah, I wasn't going to get the i7, I just wanted to ask your opinion.
So, I bought the i5 one and it should be here soon!
It is hard to find good laptops at that amount of money.
You could try a Lenovo Z50 http://pc4u.org/best-cheap-gaming-laptop-under-500-dollars/
Well, I guess I forgot to mention that I bought my laptop, http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z40/ and it is performing awesomely. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours