13%  [ 2 ]
TI 89 Titanium
 26%  [ 4 ]
HP Prime
 33%  [ 5 ]
HP 50G
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

So, what do you guys think my next calc should be? I won't be buying an 84+/83+ but I am open to any other suggestions. I am trying to keep it in the 65-0 dollar price range. The prism and the 89 titanium look good, but again prices. Sad
If we're going to provide feedback, we need more information:
- What calculator(s) do you have now?
- What do you want the new calculator for? Building a collection? Learning a new programming language? Upcoming math/science/engineering classes? Boasting rights? Wink
- What's your budget?
I gave my budget, 0-65 $. I thought I mentioned that I had a 83+ SE and a 84+ CSE. It was kind of late. I guess I want a calc that has a few option programing wise and availible programs wise. I don't have any new math classes that I won't need my god old CSE. Wink
I recommend Prizm if you want to program etc - keep an eye on ebay - I saw new prizms at around your budget around Christmas last year.
Yeah, I thought about that, and maybe the TI 89 Titanium. I hope I can find either one for those prices. Smile
The HP Prime is also quite fun if you like BASIC. I think it goes from $120 to $150 nowadays but I'm unsure. There are a few OS bugs left but here is a video of what its built-in BASIC-like language can do without any ASM assistance:

Thats all in the BASIC language!?? Amazing :O
its all 100-116 on Ebay
Assuming I get a next one, it will be an HP Prime. Already got 3 Titaniums and an NSpire CX CAS. I am totally sold on CAS enabled calcs.

Unicorn, If you don't plan on using it on any exams I would also suggest a (secondhand) Voyage 200. Excellent language (like the 89) and better screen too. The QWERTY keyboard is a big plus for on-calc programming (although you can also get the TI Keyboard for cheap and use it on the 89 as well)
In terms of languages I think Prizm supports the most - I know you can program addins for it in C and believe basic and assembly too.

In terms of CAS gbl08ma ported Eigenmath for Prizm and it is excellent in my opinion.

I don't know the other calculators to compare properly.
amazonka wrote:
In terms of languages I think Prizm supports the most - I know you can program addins for it in C and believe basic and assembly too.
You technically can write programs in all three of those languages, but when C is available and you have a reasonably well-optimizing compiler, it becomes rather silly to use assembly for anything more than sections of code that C can't adequately express.

If you want to explore a non-TI calculator, I'd go with the Prizm (for C programming) or the HP Prime (for ASM programming). Otherwise, you should grab a TI-84+CE!
CE equals dollars I don't have though. Sad Sad
Prizm or the Prime (although both are over $65 retail). You probably have to hunt for online bargains and/or pawn shops. Good luck.
I kind of got rid of this hunt, I bought myself a new computer. Anyways, I'll probably get a Prime next. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours