TI Education posted a link on their Facebook page today to CalculateYourColor.com, one of those "personality" quizzes that asks you seemingly random question, in this case to determine which color of TI-84 Plus CE you should get. Unsurprisingly, I got "Radical Red", so with a little URL jiggery-pokery, I determined the names of all the TI-84 Plus CE colors:
  • 1: Silver Linings (Gray/Silver)
  • 2: Classic (Black)
  • 3: Radical Red
  • 4: Plum Pi (Plum/Dark Purple)
  • 5: True Blue
  • 6: Lightning (Aqua Blue)
  • 7: Positively Pink
  • 8: Denim (Dark Blue)

Possibly most importantly as far as we're concerned, it looks like the calculator may have been pushed back to "summer":
calculateyourcolor.com wrote:
The TI-84 Plus CE comes in a variety of fun, bold colors for Back to School this summer. Not all colors are available at all retail locations, so visit education.ti.com/84CE for more information and updates on availability.
Meh, according to their contest rules, the only Canadian residents eligible to participate are those in Ontario and British Columbia. http://education.ti.com/en/us/promotions/calculate-your-color-final-rules

I hope the calc is not postponed, though. The issue is that if it gets released this Summer, then the stock will never reach brick and mortar stores in time for school start. When the CSE came out it took until early August before the local Staples store finally gets any in stock.
KermMartian wrote:
Possibly most importantly as far as we're concerned, it looks like the calculator may have been pushed back to "summer":
calculateyourcolor.com wrote:
The TI-84 Plus CE comes in a variety of fun, bold colors for Back to School this summer. Not all colors are available at all retail locations, so visit education.ti.com/84CE for more information and updates on availability.

I don't think we should read into it that much, because this is really an advertising thing and people don't consider Spring as "Back to School" or anything like that.
I got Denim! Yeeeessss! That one is my favourite of them all (I do like the black one though) Very Happy I don't like how they left out Pluto in the planet question (yes it's still a planet!!)
"Silver Linings" for me. I hope I can win, because I'm completely broke Razz
Silver Linings for me, though I'd be more apt to buy the red one, since there is a sad lack of green in that color list :<
I've noticed that TI does much more with blue with their color calculators than with green, for whatever reason: the TI-84 Plus CSE OS (and presumably the TI-84 Plus CE OS) offers a single shade of green to TI-BASIC programmers, but three different shades of blue. I really want this sooner rather than later, or at least the slide case, so I can start printing off Cemetech TI-84 Plus CE cases. Wink DJ_O, I'm sorry to hear about the Canadian issue; I can't think why they'd exclude some provinces.
I got Plum Pi... I guess it is a nice color, but really? Confused Glad to see that they are taking a nice initiative on advertising. Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I got Plum Pi... I guess it is a nice color, but really? Confused

You have always struck me as the kind of person who would look nice in plum so personally I'm not surprised Razz
KermMartian wrote:
I've noticed that TI does much more with blue with their color calculators than with green, for whatever reason: the TI-84 Plus CSE OS (and presumably the TI-84 Plus CE OS) offers a single shade of green to TI-BASIC programmers, but three different shades of blue. I really want this sooner rather than later, or at least the slide case, so I can start printing off Cemetech TI-84 Plus CE cases. Wink DJ_O, I'm sorry to hear about the Canadian issue; I can't think why they'd exclude some provinces.
I got Radical Red myself.

As for the Canada issue, I can imagine why they would exclude Quebec due to our overly retarded contest laws (I myself would do the same even though I live there), but I find it really weird that almost every other province would be excluded too. I'm not so sure TI is doing much effort to market their products in the Canadian market.
I got Radical Red. "Taking risks is a given when you are involved" describes me very well too.
It seems most of us are getting red. I wonder if that one's more likely.
If so, we could look at the script on the page to see if it's weighted, and when we enter the contest, we should choose the ones it's weighted against. That will increase the chances of winning.
ReGuess wrote:
It seems most of us are getting red. I wonder if that one's more likely.
If so, we could look at the script on the page to see if it's weighted, and when we enter the contest, we should choose the ones it's weighted against. That will increase the chances of winning.

Good idea, if we can figure out the algorithm!
Oh, TI. You and your US-exclusive giveaways. <3

Good luck to everyone who entered it, though!
I don't think it's weighted, I just think they're giving away one of each color. A la the rules:
Quote:
Odds of winning are dependent upon the total number of valid entries for each of the eight calculator colors as of the day of the random drawing.
Hm. I got Lightning... And it looks AMAZING!!!!! I will enter ASAP.
Radial forking red dawg! I think my sanity became less sane when I got my results, why so rad red radical?! xD i made no sense...
I tried three different combinations of answers (many questions did not have any clear-cut decisions for me) and got Radical Red every time. But I definitely don't consider myself a risk-taker. Go figure.
Travis wrote:
I tried three different combinations of answers (many questions did not have any clear-cut decisions for me) and got Radical Red every time. But I definitely don't consider myself a risk-taker. Go figure.
I'm curious how they choose the color you get; as others here have indicated, I suspect it may be a weighted random number generator of some sort. Personality descriptions aside, what would your TI-84 Plus CE color be? Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Travis wrote:
I'm curious how they choose the color you get; as others here have indicated, I suspect it may be a weighted random number generator of some sort. Personality descriptions aside, what would your TI-84 Plus CE color be? Wink

Sorry, not exactly my question, but considering that my CSE is Plum Pi, which is the only one they had in stock when I went to the store, I guess a Plum Pi would also complete the collection. But seriously, that is not my favorite color, so I would probably go with whatever the blue one is. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours