I just received a ti-84 + SE, and am wondering if it can read APPS through msd8x... Neutral
I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, at least not in msd8x's current form, but I could be wrong.
alrighty thanks Smile was just wondering cause like idk maybe xD
MSD8X can't do anything on your TI-84+SE unless it's older than 2007-ish. It'll crash because it requires the full 128 K of RAM. The underlying FAT16 driver is part of USB8X and does not require 128 K of RAM. But it was never very reliable; it generally only worked with Lexar flash drives. USB8X is fixed-delay-based, not interrupt-based, which may be why it wasn't very compatible. (That is, it expected the flash drive to finish operations with a particular timing pattern.) It also only supported FAT16, not FAT32.

BrandonW also made a version that could load apps into the archive and run them. It was experimental and had some unusual hacks.
DrDnar wrote:
MSD8X can't do anything on your TI-84+SE unless it's older than 2007-ish. It'll crash because it requires the full 128 K of RAM. The underlying FAT16 driver is part of USB8X and does not require 128 K of RAM. But it was never very reliable; it generally only worked with Lexar flash drives. USB8X is fixed-delay-based, not interrupt-based, which may be why it wasn't very compatible. (That is, it expected the flash drive to finish operations with a particular timing pattern.) It also only supported FAT16, not FAT32.

BrandonW also made a version that could load apps into the archive and run them. It was experimental and had some unusual hacks.

For me, with a 48KB TI 84 Plus (not SE), msd8x actually still works, but shows a corrupted garbage file at the end of the list (it has a corrupted filename and 0 byte size) and sometimes screws up the filenames for real files.
BrandonW on IRC wrote:
Feb 26 16:57:19 <BrandonW> msd8x doesn't work well on a lot of calculators because it assumes 128KB RAM.
Feb 26 16:57:28 <BrandonW> It's a miracle it works at all on some 48KB calculators.

Also, interestingly, msd8x works on two different flash drives I have with Chipsbank controllers. One's a CBM2093P, idk about the other. (They're both epoxy blobs, but one had the model printed on the actual PCB.) But a 512MB flash drive I have that msd8x does NOT work on has a FC8508 controller. I don't know a lot about controllers or why some work and some don't work, though, BrandonW knows more about this than me. Just decided to put that info there in case it helps anyone.

Also, I'm not sure, but I might have seen a version with file-sorting removed floating around for the 48KB calcs.
EDIT: http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/msd8xNew.zip

EDIT 2 (this actually isn't the second edit): Never mind, that actually wasn't the one I think I saw; that was the version that supposedly had launching apps from USB.
the README file, surprise surprise I read it wrote:
These are up-to-date msd8x and usb8x versions (soon to be 0.96 and 0.13, respectively).

usb8x fixes a file writing problem, and msd8x has bug fixes and Flash application importing (one page apps only), exporting, and on-the-fly running (certain one page apps only). It also removes the ability to scroll through text files because it doesn't work well and I don't care enough to fix it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours