Hi,
I'm Kurt. I just followed a link to an apparenttly free online TI-84 Emulator. That website asked me to register here, so here I be.

Do I need to already own such a calculator and upload a ROM image from it, in order to be able to use the emulator? That's not gonna happen, I'm just trying to help out a friend who has to teach a Math ourse that uses it.
kurt19001, welcome to Cemetech! Yes, to legally use the jsTIfied calculator emulator (or any emulator), you need to grab a ROM image from your calculator. If your friend teaches a math course, he probably already has a TI graphing calculator you can use for the ROM image. We'd be more than happy to help guide you or him through the process of using rom8x to grab that ROM image from the calculator.
" If your friend teaches a math course, he probably already has a TI graphing calculator you can use for the ROM image. "

That's a thought. She does, though she is about 75 miles away at the moment. There is the added wrinkle that she probably wants to load the emulator on her computer as well. Will the TI police be upset if the two of us download that ROM image? Strictly speaking, neither of us own it, it's on loan from the college where she is a professor.
kurt19001, I beg your pardon, *she. It's illegal to share and/or distribute ROM images that you don't have the key (in this case, the physical device) for. Officially, Cemetech frowns on any use of its tools with ROMs from a calculator you don't own, but we have no way of policing that, as jsTIfied isolates its data on your computer, and doesn't store any information on the Cemetech server except files you wish to save to SourceCoder. In short, do what you think is right, and I am not a lawyer. Smile I'll let you two decide how you want to approach dumping ROM image(s) from calculator(s) for use with jsTIfied, and I'll stick to the technical side of things. For dumping the ROM image from the calculator, the easiest tools to use are rom8x and TI-Connect.
OK. I am not going to try to talk her through that over the phone. (The Math part is hard enough.) The next time I visit her I will bring my trusty Laptop and USB cable. We're speaking now, she seems satisfied with the physical calculator, so there is no great rush.

I hope you will not be offended, but in the shorter term I was able to install the TI-84 Wabbitemu emulator, which builds a ROM from an OS file. At least that's what they call it. But I'd still like to run the jsTIfied calculator, and compare them.

In the meantime there's lots of other interesting stuff in here! I wonder what would happen if I plugged in my old TRS80-IV. It's got a Z80 in it...
I will reply again when I have the jsTIfied installed.
kurt19001 wrote:
I hope you will not be offended, but in the shorter term I was able to install the TI-84 Wabbitemu emulator, which builds a ROM from an OS file. At least that's what they call it. But I'd still like to run the jsTIfied calculator, and compare them.
I understand, Wabbit does make it very easy. Unfortunately, the OS builder within Wabbitemu is squarely illegal, since it does in fact enable anyone to create a ROM regardless of whether they own a license to the calculator's OS. It's a controversial decision on WabbitEmu's part, and although jsTIfied loses a lot of users by not skirting the law like that, it does give me and Cemetech a lot less liability for theft of intellectual property, as far as I know. Smile

Quote:
In the meantime there's lots of other interesting stuff in here! I wonder what would happen if I plugged in my old TRS80-IV. It's got a Z80 in it...
That sounds really interesting! It's amazing how much hardware is actually powered by z80s when you start exploring.

How goes this project? Anything I can assist with?
Hello KermMartian and All,
Well, I finally got myself a Physical TI-84 of some flavor off of E-bay, and I have questions that look like they ought to be in a FAQ, but I cannot find one here. I will start new topics. Haven't tried to upload ROM yet.
Try to find them in the search bar on the top right corner of the site!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours