Is there a way to send files to a ti-84 calculator from an arduino with an SD card shield?
You probably could write a program using KermM's excellent ArTICL library: https://github.com/KermMartian/ArTICL
As Ivoah says, you can use silent linking and the ArTICL library to send files from a calculator to and from an Arduino. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions if you need help figuring out how to put this all together!
that should cover communications pretty well

Would silent link be any easier than the manual link?
deepthought wrote:
Would silent link be any easier than the manual link?
In terms of effort on the Arduino programming side of things, manual linking would give you an easier way to specify which files to transfer from the calculator to the Arduino. Silent linking would make it require fewer keypresses on the calculator, at the expense of the Arduino having to already know what files to fetch.
OK. will i need any hardware other than the arduino( besides power supply and programmer), or can i get away with the internal pull-up resistors?
deepthought wrote:
OK. will i need any hardware other than the arduino( besides power supply and programmer), or can i get away with the internal pull-up resistors?
The internal pull-up resistors are more than sufficient; ArTICL takes care of those for you. You need no extra hardware.
last question before i get the arduino, as this will decode whether i need a level shifter for the other peripherals. will i need the 3.3v or the 5v arduino?
deepthought wrote:
last question before i get the arduino, as this will decode whether i need a level shifter for the other peripherals. will i need the 3.3v or the 5v arduino?
I have done all of my work with the 5V Arduinos (specifically the Duemilanove). I can't speak to the ability of the calculator to communicate at 3.3V.
TI-Z80 calculators, which use 0V/5V signals, and TI-68k calculators, which use 0V/3.3V signals, can interoperate, as shown by X-Link. The TI-68k series' link hardware is 5V-tolerant.
since 3.3v arduinos or the wireless module i'm going to use aren't 5v tolerant, i'm gonna need a level converter. I should be able to figure out the link protocol once i get my parts in.
I've decided to scrap my wireless module and just go with a raspberry pi and a level converter to interface with the calc. is there any sort of linkport serial console i could use to check my send and get routines?
deepthought wrote:
I've decided to scrap my wireless module and just go with a raspberry pi and a level converter to interface with the calc.
That seems a bit heavy-weight for this project to me, personally.
Quote:
is there any sort of linkport serial console i could use to check my send and get routines?
I suppose you could do something with libticalcs on the computer side, or are you asking about the calculator side?
KermMartian wrote:
deepthought wrote:
I have done all of my work with the 5V Arduinos (specifically the Duemilanove). I can't speak to the ability of the calculator to communicate at 3.3V.

LOL, Get an Arduino Uno, the Duemilanove's ancient!
EDIT: nevermind about this part, good point

Also, if you are using a Raspberry Pi, wouldn't it be faster and easier to try to link to the the TI-84's USB port?
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:
ĻŌĻ, Get an Arduino Uno, the Duemilanove's ancient!
They're both Atmega328P-based boards, and therefore are functionally identical...

Quote:
Also, if you are using a Raspberry Pi, wouldn't it be faster and easier to try to link to the the TI-84's USB port?
Communication would definitely be faster. It probably wouldn't be easier unless deepthought has some experience with libusb.
I've gotten my circuitry with the pi set up and even converted the TICL class to java with pi4j. It seems to think it's sending correctly, but i'm not getting acks back.

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11282&highlight=[/url]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours