I want to play some T 84 ASM games on my TI 84+CSE, but when I put the ASM into the calculator is shows up as basic and gives me a syntax error when I try to run it. So, is there a converter or something like that?
No, because the LCD display driver is completely different across these calculators, and thus each program needs to be ported from one calculator to the next. Sorry about that. Sad
Ok. What is porting? I am a total newbie to all of this.
Unicorn wrote:
Ok. What is porting? I am a total newbie to all of this.
Porting means converting a program or game from one platform to another. It usually involves at least changing some of the code, and at most completely re-writing the program or game. In this case, to port a program from the monochrome TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus calculators to the color TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, you would have to re-write the sections of the program that work with the screen, as well as change the addresses of the ROM calls (bcalls) and memory areas that the program uses.
I've wondered about this too. As far as capabilities like max frame rate and being able to double-buffer graphics, is the TI 84+ CSE very similar to the TI-84?
Yes, it is actually quite similar, but as Kerm stated. bcalls and display routines can tend to be very different.
Dianzi tian wrote:
I've wondered about this too. As far as capabilities like max frame rate and being able to double-buffer graphics, is the TI 84+ CSE very similar to the TI-84?

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Yes, it is actually quite similar, but as Kerm stated. bcalls and display routines can tend to be very different.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you there. Because the data for one full screen (320 x 240 x 2 bytes) of image data is larger than the calculator's entire RAM, it requires a lot more tricks for fast, responsive games than the old calculators. When your image data is 768 bytes, having two or three buffers is really not a big deal; when it's 153.6KB, things get more tricky. The "sanest" double-buffering trick we have is to use half-res mode and always write to the offscreen half of the LCD.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours