So buckeye has been MIA for a while, presumably with school. Using wabbit I ran into some bugs with it that needed fixing and decided I might as well fork it and start picking up the maintenance and development of Wabbitemu.

That being said:

http://wabbit.keepdream.in
You can find current builds here.
Release Builds will be faster then the debug builds.

Changes so far:
    *Added version info the the help about screen.
    *Fixed some issues with the debugger and port 27 and 28
    *fixed some other non issue bugs (bad usb port initializations and stuff)
    Fixed Multipage app support with label files

Changes wanted but in planning:
    *Remove bootfree support (sorry its just not legal to me)
    *Replace com setup with a proper scripting language support
    *Optimize lcd handling for color screens (this is not going to be easy :/)

Feature requests and bug reports here. As well as on the bit bucket tracker, Located here

Any questions on how wabbit handles things I will also gladly look into and let you know.
It's a good thing for WabbitEmu users that there's some more activity on the code base.
It's less of a good thing that the removal of BootFree support is among the wanted, planned changes: some people like that feature (with good reason, IMO) and would be sad to see it disappear...
I plan on pointing users to resources to continue to make their own roms. Personally its against my personal opinion for it to be an integrated part of wabbitemu, And secondly as far as I am concerned its not legal. Of which that is something else I refuse to outwardly support. I plan on integrating as much hardware rom dumping support as possible, Including working with Ti-Tools and Tilp if available.
Which OSes/platforms will you be supporting with your builds?
geekboy1011 wrote:
*Replace com setup with a proper scripting language support
Rather than replacing this, why not just add scripting and keep it? No need to remove something that functions.
Because it barely functions. Ive used it and its rather gross to work with as well as it has some odd requirements for working with that makes it clunky. That feature is much farther down the road tho. And I plan on weighing all the options I can before I make a final decision.
geekboy1011 wrote:

*Remove bootfree support (sorry its just not legal to me)

I suggest you just remove the auto TI-OS downloading part but leave the rom builder. I think it is perfectly fine as long as you make the user go and download the OS themselves and thus view any licensing or messages TI has when downloading the OS. This puts the ownus on the user to stay within legal bounds. Just my $.02.
Perhaps make the BootFree-based ROM creator require the actual calculator to be connected without necessarily requiring a ROM dump? It could just send the calc model and OS version and would refuse ROM creation if it's an invalid calc model.

Otherwise you could maybe make that ROM creator a separate program so it's not included in WabbitEmu directly, so that way, perhaps WabbitEmu will regain support from members who were against that feature.

I don't really mind if BootFree is part of the emulator, since it saved me considerable amounts of time in the past, but I highly encourage people to not use that feature unless they own the calculator, regardless of if it's legal or not (I think it's legal).
Works great and some nice ideas as support for this emulator seemed to have dropped off.

On a plus note there seemed to be issues with builderboy's 32-bit version for me (possibly build characteristics) but it works now so I can use it at work Smile.
Builderboy's version?
Err lol I mean buckeye!
geekboy1011 wrote:

[list]*Remove bootfree support (sorry its just not legal to me)

At least it could be forked again if needed. I think it is the responsibility of the user to decide if what they are doing is legal or not. I am sure there are many people who legally use this feature on a daily basis and will be sad to see it gone. Also when someone contributes something to an open source project it is clear that there is a demand for such a thing or a need for it. The code was not written without a purpose. The purpose was to enable users to easily and yes legally emulate their TI calculator that they may own. I considered writing some TI programs before but was scared away due to what I can only describe as copyright Nazism (a play on the phrase grammar Nazi). I did not want people criticizing something I wrote because of how I made it instead of the function of it.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Err 0x5 I mean buckeye!

Ah well I updated it to use the windows 7 build chain not the Windows XP chain that being said I have no idea if it runs on Windows XP now but hey at least it's using an up to date compiler!

ProgrammerNerd wrote:
geekboy1011 wrote:

[list]*Remove bootfree support (sorry its just not legal to me)

At least it could be forked again if needed. I think it is the responsibility of the user to decide if what they are doing is legal or not. I am sure there are many people who legally use this feature on a daily basis and will be sad to see it gone. Also when someone contributes something to an open source project it is clear that there is a demand for such a thing or a need for it. The code was not written without a purpose. The purpose was to enable users to easily and yes legally emulate their TI calculator that they may own. I considered writing some TI programs before but was scared away due to what I can only describe as copyright Nazism (a play on the phrase grammar Nazi). I did not want people criticizing something I wrote because of how I made it instead of the function of it.

I actually decided to not completely remove BootFree, I just require the user to supply their own 8xu. Wabbit will not download the file for them. I just want out of the grey area that is downloading it on the users' behalf.
Quote:
I just want out of the grey area that is downloading it on the users' behalf.

That's better, though you could keep this functionality by displaying the TI license for the OS upgrade (retrieving it online if you wish), then having the user accept (or decline) it, and upon agreement, download the file.
That way, there's no difference between dowloading from TI's site (which makes one accept the license) and downloading from inside WabbitEmu... only user convenience.

Another tradeoff would be to display the link to TI's download site from inside a dialog.
What if the user does own the calculator but not the cable? Having to prove that you own the calculator to the program sounds annoying I do like Lionel's idea that way it is up to the user take the risk if it really illegal or if the law does not apply to the country they live in. I could live with downloading the file from TI's website manually.
ProgrammerNerd wrote:
What if the user does own the calculator but not the cable? Having to prove that you own the calculator to the program sounds annoying I do like Lionel's idea that way it is up to the user take the risk if it really illegal or if the law does not apply to the country they live in. I could live with downloading the file from TI's website manually.

I made some typo's that made my last post incomprehensible.

Geekboy1011 wrote:
I actually decided to not completely remove BootFree, I just require the user to supply their own 8xu. Wabbit will not download the file for them. I just want out of the grey area that is downloading it on the users' behalf.

BootFree will remain.

@ Lionel. There is a hyperlink to the text but it have never had it work for me. I still don't agree with it, That being said the plan is as above.
Sadly in the last update some things got reverted but meh not worried about trivialish wars over legal greyareas when functionality is more important!

Updated to include all the bugfixes in the mainstream wabbitemu release as well as add in some basic label support for brass generated export files (they still need to have .equ changed to = working on that) I added in multipage app support for it with that as well. Please use .exportmode FullAssembly for brass!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours