Mostly a 'how to' incase I ever run across this exact problem again, but there may be others that also have this issue and don't have a reasonable answer for it.

I installed Win 8.1 onto my Toshiba, and ran the updates. Any time it tried to update the Atheros AR9285 wireless driver, it crashed the computer.

Checking the Microsoft site indicated that the driver was not compatible with Windows 8.1, and several other sites I tried didn't have an actual download link.

I ended up finding it here: https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=7

Under the first box, click the Click for Download box, and unzip the file. From there, go to device manager, and tell it to update the wireless network driver in whatever folder those files ended up, and it solves the problem.
wow thanks

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours