Whenever I turn on my TI-Nspire CX (P-05140, 3.6.0.0550 OS), the loading bar progresses to about halfway. At this point, "System Error" pops up above the bar and an exclamation triangle appears in the lower left corner of the screen.
I am able to access the maintenance menu by holding [Doc][Enter][EE] and pressing the reset button on the back. However, when prompted the 4 options, none of the options work. All of the options reboot the calculator and begin the cycle again.
I am also able to access the diagnostics by holding [Esc][-][Menu] and pressing the reset button, but I am not totally sure what help this can provide.
I believe this issue started after a reboot that was initialized by nsNandMgr.

Is there a way to fix this so that the calculator can function properly?
Several basic and mostly generic troubleshooting questions:
* which version of nsNandMgr did you use ?
* what was the exact sequence of operations you performed with nsNandMgr before triggering a reboot ?
* which tutorial, if any, did you follow ?
Tutorial: http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&p=150227#p150227

I believe that the package I used is in the download link on the tutorial here http://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=35310

I got to B8 when I switched the boot order but could not change it back. I continued to C2. When I pressed the reset button, the system error came up.

I'll have to double check a few things when I get back to my computer.
Well, the tutorial clearly states (formatting reproduced):

Preliminary checks:
Warning: If any of those checks is not ok, then this tutorial is not for you. Applying it won't work and may even brick your calculator permanently.
    P1) Check if your calculator is among the following models categories:
    • TI-Nspire
      + TI-Nspire CAS, TI-Nspire TouchPad, TI-Nspire CAS TouchPad
    • TI-Nspire CX
      + TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX-C, TI-Nspire CX-C CAS, TI-Nspire CX Chinese Edition, TI-Nspire CX CAS Chinese Edition

P2) If your calculator belongs to the TI-Nspire CX family (last above entry) check if its hardware revision is A to I (last letter of the P-0000X code at the right of the serial number on the back)
    Warning: If you're not sure of this, stop immediately and ask for help. Applying the following instructions on a TI-Nspire CX with hardware revision J or above is going to brick it beyond repair by any software.

However, your calculator has the O hardware revision, as you wrote in your first post. That is much (more than a year) newer than the I hardware revision...

You (involuntarily) disregarded both the tutorial's warnings in emphasis formatting, and the warning displayed by nsNandMgr when it starts and detects a CX calculator (I'm told nsNandMgr helpfully does that)...

EDIT: I have edited the text of that portion of the tutorial on TI-Planet to mention that if the calculator was bought in the 2013 BTS period or more recently, then it's unlikely to be suitable... Honestly, what more can we do ? One thing is sure: pulling tutorials and tools which have worked for hundreds of persons isn't going to happen Smile

Now that you've screwed up, what can you do ? Your best hope is to gain access to / buy cheap external hardware equipment known as "USB / RS232 TTL adapter". It's the same troubleshooting procedure as fixing calculators semi-bricked by the defective official OS 3.0.1.1753 upgrade: repairing a calculator with a missing / damaged / wrong boot2 Smile

If you don't want to do that, then buy another Nspire calculator, and also join us in complaining to TI about the fact they're not helping their users' professional success by fighting native code and restricting what we can do with their expensive calculators...
(makes me think that we haven't yet had time to write the user-oriented tutorial about the early Nspire port of Micro Python yet, even on TI-Planet... but the program is not very stable yet, in that frequent reboots are required)
Thanks Lionel Debroux.

I had thought that the P-xxxxJ did not apply to this calculator because I read 5 numbers after the P.

If I were to try to repair the boot2, how would I? Would I need an Arduino in addition to the adapter?
Quote:
I had thought that the P-xxxxJ did not apply to this calculator because I read 5 numbers after the P.

But that was a letter, sadly for you Smile
The second red line, right after the P2 line, advises to ask for help if one's not sure.

Quote:
If I were to try to repair the boot2, how would I?

TI-Planet published tutorials for the specific purpose of fixing calculators semi-bricked by the defective OS 3.0.1.1753 upgrade.
Reflashing the boot2 is also part of nLaunchy tutorials for Clickpad / Touchpad calculators, which involve a downgrade to boot2 1.4.1571.

Quote:
Would I need an Arduino in addition to the adapter?

Nope, not in addition to the adapter. Adapters are standalone, they are based on a variety of USB - RS232 TTL adapter chips, such as, but not limited to, the FTDI 232 family, some members of the CP210x (e.g. 2102 family), or the PL2303.
The FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 ( http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm ) is what I use myself. Critor uses another model based on the same chip.

If you already have an Arduino, it might do the job, as it exposes a serial USB interface on one side and can access GPIOs. But others here would have more definitive answers about the Arduino Smile
Just to be sure are these the correct resources and items that I could use?

Tutorial on fixing boot2: http://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=3507

USB to RS232 TTL Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/PL2303HX-RS232-Cable-Module-Converter/dp/B008AGDTA4

Thanks again.
* the bulk of the tutorial on fixing the boot2 still applies to the CX, all the more the key combos are the same as on Touchpad Nspires ( http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5360&lang=en - one of the few useful tutorials that we haven't translated yet).
Of course, the target boot2 version is different for a CX: 3.1.0.16 (3.10.16 internally) instead of 1.4.1571.

* PL2303-based adapters like the one you're mentioning should work just fine. I have a PL2303-based adapter in addition to the FTDI-232-R-based adapter, but the PL2303-based adapter has a DB9 serial interface, which has higher voltage and different protocol than RS232 TTL, so I've never used it to communicate with the Nspire.
I have gotten the cable and have connected the TI-Nspire CX to my Windows 8.1. I am using HyperTerminal as it says in the tutorial. I can connect the calculator through the COM port. However, when I replace the battery into the calculator as directed on page 9, I do not get the message or text to appear in HyperTerminal. I have made sure that the connections are good and the communication values are set properly. The battery may be dead because there are now two icons: system error and one with a battery. I can still power it through the USB-micro USB cable.
What can I be doing wrong?
Not sure what happens...

Quote:
I can connect the calculator through the COM port. However, when I replace the battery into the calculator as directed on page 9, I do not get the message or text to appear in HyperTerminal.

Hmm. Do you see, or don't you see, some text appearing when the calculator boots up ?
No, I do not. When I put the battery in the calculator remains off. Assume this is right. When I turn it on, I get the boot loading screen.
If you don't see anything from the beginning of the boot, then something is wrong with the RS232 connection, hardware or software. The boot1 (and boot2, OS, but you don't have that just yet) print output on the RS232 TTL port.
Okay. Thanks. I'l keep trying the connection once I get the COM error out of the way.

Is there a better way to connect the wires to the serial? Currently, I have stripped the plastic off of the tips and am connecting them to the calculator and holding the wires in place with cellophane tape.
Cellophane tape is not my tape of choice for electrical matters, but combined with the dock connector lid, it should make a decent job snapping the wires onto the dock connector pads.
Sorry to revive this thread; it's quite old. It provides good context for where I'm at though. I followed a tutorial to install a CAS image on my CX. However, it was copied from TI Planet and had none of the warnings about hardware revision... sigh... Mine is P-1213M. I have an RS232 cable, and connected it to the right pins on my calculator. However, when I plug in the battery when Hyper Terminal is open, I get a bunch of gibberish instead of the expected message. I use the following settings:
Bits/S: 11520
Data Bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop Bits: 1
Control Bits: none
any help would be greatly appreciated; thank you.
I have decided to try my hand at this again. HyperTerminal, which is used in the above tutorial, only allows for a 30 day trial.

I have made some progress through the tutorial. I occasionally get a good connection with the pins on the TI-Nspire.

Using the HyperTerminal settings described in the tutorial and described by linaeus, 115200 baud, 8 Data Bits, None Parity, 1 Stop Bit, and None Flow Control, I have been able to get the first message from the calculator when I insert the battery:

Code:
Boot Loader Stage 1 (3.00.99)
Build: 2010/9/9, 17:29:13
Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Texas Instruments Incorporated
Using production keys

Last boot progress: 65

Available system memory: 33196
Checking for NAND: NAND Flash ID: Generic 1 GBit (0xA1)
SDRAM size: 64 MB
Clearing SDRAM...Done.

Although that this message does not exactly match the message in the tutorial, I assume that I can proceed to turn on the calculator by pressing the ON button.

Here is the message that is produced when I turn the calculator on:

Code:
Boot Loader Stage 2 (3.10.16)
Build: 2011/7/6, 14:38:40
Using production keys

Clocks:  CPU = 132MHz   AHB = 66MHz   APB = 33MHz

Initializing graphics subsystem.
Boot option: Normal

Initializing filesystem.
Datalight Reliance v2.10.1150
Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Datalight, Inc.
Datalight FlashFX Pro v3.00 Build 1358
Nucleus Edition for ARM9
Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Datalight, Inc.
Patents: US#5860082, US#6260156.
BOOT2 Error: posix_file_init() error

This message differs much from the message from the tutorial. At this point, I am supposed to send the boot2.img to the calculator via Xmodem. However, I am not prompted on the calculator to send it. If I try to send the file, I get a transfer error of no response from remote system. I am unsure of what to do here.

I know that the tutorial was used to fix a TI-Nspire on an older version of software. Has the TI software changed where we cannot send the boot 2 image to the TI-Nspire CX?
Electromagnet8 wrote:
However, I am not prompted on the calculator to send it. If I try to send the file, I get a transfer error of no response from remote system. I am unsure of what to do here.

I know that the tutorial was used to fix a TI-Nspire on an older version of software. Has the TI software changed where we cannot send the boot 2 image to the TI-Nspire CX?

You might need to press DOC+ENTER+2 when pressing ON to enable the boot2 download mode.
Thank you very much for that tip. I have been able to successfully transfer the boot2 image to the calculator and proceed through the rest of the tutorial. I now have a TI-Nspire CX running OS 3.6.0.550.

I used the TNOC utility as linked in the tutorial to remove the boot2 image from a downloaded OS.
I had to use version 3.2 of the TI-Nspire Computer Link software. The one linked in the tutorial (v1.4) threw a "Wrong handheld type for the OS being sent" error when I tried to send the OS to the calculator via the USB cable.

For those who might need it, here is the HyperTerminal output. I disconnected the wires near the end.

Code:

Using production keys

Turning device off
Clearing SDRAM...Done.

Using production keys

Wakeup Event: ON.
SDRAM memory test:   Pass
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Boot option: Download Boot2

Keypad request - installing BOOT2 software...

Checking battery level.
Battery level is OK.

Ready to download BOOT2 software...

Begin XMODEM file transfer.
Erasing old BOOT2 image.
Updating BOOT2 image.
BOOT2 image has been updated.
Restarting in 3  relFs_Format v2.10.1150
Writing file system...100
Block size: 2048
Total blocks: 59008
Used blocks: 21
Free blocks: 58987
Filesystem ready.
Purging temporary files...
TI_OS_deleteTree(): path /tmp
TI_OS_INSTALL_DELETING_OS (2)
TI_OS_deleteTree: deleteAllFiles Done!

Loading Operating System...

Error loading OS image. Removing OS remnants.
TI_OS_deleteCurrentOS(): Progress : 3
TI_OS_deleteTree(): path /phoenix/install
TI_OS_deleteTree(): path /phoenix
Deleting file [/phoenix/manuf.dat]
Removing directory [/phoenix/install/]
TI_OS_deleteTree(): path /ti84
TI_OS_deleteTree(): Failed to chdir : 2
TI_OS_deleteCurrentOS(): Finished!!

Waiting for OS download.
Starting Connectivity services.
Initializing USB subsystem...Done.
USB Download is enabled.
Received TI_OFFSYNC_APD_REQ
false stuckONkey

Using production keys

Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.

Loading BOOT2 software...

99%
BOOT1: loading complete (312 ticks), launching image.

Boot Loader Stage 2 (3.24.7)
Build: 2013/1/14, 17:52:33
Copyright (c) 2006-2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated
Using production keys

Initializing filesystem.
Nucleus Edition for ARM9
FlashFX: Uncorrectable ECC error
Filesystem ready.

Waiting for OS download.
USB Download is enabled.
Glad you got it working!
Electromagnet8 wrote:
Thank you very much for that tip. I have been able to successfully transfer the boot2 image to the calculator and proceed through the rest of the tutorial. I now have a TI-Nspire CX running OS 3.6.0.550.

I used the TNOC utility as linked in the tutorial to remove the boot2 image from a downloaded OS.
I had to use version 3.2 of the TI-Nspire Computer Link software. The one linked in the tutorial (v1.4) threw a "Wrong handheld type for the OS being sent" error when I tried to send the OS to the calculator via the USB cable.

For those who might need it, here is the HyperTerminal output. I disconnected the wires near the end.

Code:

Using production keys

Turning device off
Clearing SDRAM...Done.

Using production keys

Wakeup Event: ON.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Boot option: Download Boot2

Keypad request - installing BOOT2 software...

Checking battery level.
Battery level is OK.

Ready to download BOOT2 software...

Begin XMODEM file transfer.
Erasing old BOOT2 image.
Updating BOOT2 image.
BOOT2 image has been updated.
Restarting in 3  relFs_Format v2.10.1150
Writing file system...100
Block size: 2048
Total blocks: 59008
Used blocks: 21
Free blocks: 58987
Filesystem ready.

Waiting for OS download.
USB Download is enabled.
Received TI_OFFSYNC_APD_REQ
false stuckONkey

Using production keys

Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.
Clearing SDRAM...Done.

Loading BOOT2 software...

99%
BOOT1: loading complete (312 ticks), launching image.

Boot Loader Stage 2 (3.24.7)
Build: 2013/1/14, 17:52:33
Copyright (c) 2006-2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated
Using production keys

Initializing filesystem.
Nucleus Edition for ARM9
Filesystem ready.

Waiting for OS download.
USB Download is enabled.

Hi Electromagnet8 !
After this, did you try intall a CAS SO in your CX HandHeld?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours