I just moved from using a TV and TV tray to a desk with a proper monitor. Sold my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and bought a 2.4GHz keyboard & mouse combo except I get dropped key strokes and clicks. I'm looking at gaming keyboards and mice for the custom function keys; to press G3 and assign a specific edit preset (such as for my Infrared photos) or press G5 to create a copy. It's not the main focus here because I just want a smooth, reliable and lasting keyboard and those happen to be gaming keyboards but the addition of custom function keys would be undeniably handy.

I've got my eye on a gamepad, the Logitech G13, but it's not a keyboard. I moved from a 24" TV Tray to a 31" desk so I still don't have a lot of room. I want to use a keyboard with Lightroom and assign actions/presets to the custom function keys. I wouldn't mind buying a gamepad but I still need a keyboard and if I can kill two functions in one, awesome. If not, I can keep the gamepad on a shelf or behind my monitor when not in use.

Aesthetics are mildly important. I went to Frys and tried out in the hopes of buying a keyboard and I fell in love with this specific Storm QuickFire Stealth from Cooler Masters but it was out of stock and seems to be discontinued. Custom Function keys are not required but they'd be nice. I have friends, such as KermM, who love their CODE keyboards. Is this something I should consider more than other keyboards? I'm also deciding to go wired because I don't need to worry about tripping over wires anymore.

I've received recommendations for the Corsair K95 and the QuickFire TK.

Secondly, the mouse. I almost bought a R.A.T mouse but opted to do some research first. I don't need the extra buttons on the mouse, again it'd be nice but not something that I'm explicitly looking for. I just need a mouse that can provide awesome precision.

Just to express my pickiness side:

• I don't really want a numpad. A Keyboard without a numpad will always be favored over a similar one that does. It's why I liked the QuickFire Stealth over everything else at Frys. I'd rather have a keyboard like the QuickFire Stealth and a GamePad over a super wide keyboard.

• Backlighting is optional but I'm usually done on the computer by 7-8p anyways, and it's still light enough to see things around my room and I am rather confident with the layout of a keyboard to type without sight. The only reason I'd want (RGB) backlighting is for future DMX Lighting projects.

• A USB port on the keyboard is another bonus. I have 4 USB ports on my computer and they are currently used as such: Monitor, HDD, Phone Cable, Keyboard/Mouse. My monitor has a built-in 3 Port USB hub which I could use but I'd rather use that for USB drives since it's easier to reach those than the back of my computer, and because my computers' are all used. I'm still opposed to a USB hub at the moment (with the exception of my monitor).
I would get a Ducky 3 Shine. They're really solid and they're tenkeyless. Make sure you know your Cherry keyswitches though. Cherry blues have a high spring force and audible click. Browns are similar, but they don't make a clicking sound and are a little lighter. Reds and Blacks are linear keyswitches, with no tactile click. Reds are a lighter black. I suggest going to a store and typing on some mechanical keyboards to get a feel for what switch you want. If the box doesn't say what key switches the keyboard has, pry off a key and the color of the stem will indicate what type of switch is installed.
Tenkeyless doesn't seem to mean numpadless. I might have to go shopping tomorrow or Friday, my current keyboard is about to have a run-in with me knee and I won't be able to wait on shipping. Sad
CODE Keyboard + Razer Mouse

Or if you're really cool, a Model M.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Or if you're really cool, a Model M.

As much as I want to recommend a Model M (I have three myself), I would advise getting against one for gaming. The keys have to depress way too far and it makes a notable difference in response time (at least to me). Also, if you liked the MX browns, the click and spring ring of the model M might bother you.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Tenkeyless doesn't seem to mean numpadless.

It typically does. If you want a keyboard with no arrow keys or home/end etc, you want a "60%" keyboard.
It's not a keyboard for gaming. I'm just looking for a keyboard that will last for a long time and Gaming keyboards are usually the most durable with the bonus features I'm looking for. And when I say "light gaming" I'm talking about Civ V, Plague, and other simple/non-competitive games (looking at TF2, CS, etc).

I've adjusted some settings regarding keyboard and mouse on the computer end and it seems to have helped but I'd still like to purchase a wired & reliable keyboard.

I'm looking more and more into the RGB backlight keyboards for DMX reasons with prospected projects but by then I won't be living at my current residence and likely won't have the freedom to do such projects.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours