My TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition is not charging. It only charges when it is turned on. That's the only time the LED light shows an orange color. When it automatically turns off after a few minutes, the LED light changes to Green. I don't know where the problem is. When it turns green it is supposed to mean it is fully charged. But when I unplug it, it goes low battery. I need all of your help. I need to know where the problem is. I am guessing it is the TI rechargeable battery that is dead. Please help me!! I have exams soon!! I need it!!

Thank You all very much!!

Teddy123
Teddy, it does indeed sound like the battery is potentially faulty. How long have you had the calculator? Has it worked normally up until now? We have heard symptoms like this several times before, including TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition no charge light and TI 84 CSE will not charge and TI 84 Plus C Silver edition wont turn on?.
Well I bought this calculator in August 2013. This problem has been there since December 2013. Thanks for helping. Please let me know of what the problem is.

Thank You

Teddy123
In this case, if the battery has indeed prematurely failed, your best bet is to contact TI's customer service hotline, TI-Cares. You can submit their online form or call 1-800-TI-CARES.
Thank You. But can you point out what exactly the problem is?
It's hard to diagnose without being able to pull out the battery and play with it, but it sounds like the battery rather than a charging circuit. TI-CARES will most likely request that you send the calculator in and send you a replacement.
But I actually bought the calculator in Walmart. Do you still think they would replace it for me? Also would it be free? Thanks a lot!!!

Regards

Teddy123
It's almost certainly outside of Walmart's return period. This sort of behavior is something that the manufacturer's warranty is supposed to cover, not the store's return policy. TI's warranty returns are free if they accept the calculator as being legitimately faulty.

As KermM, said, it sounds like a battery issue, but there's no way to know without testing with another battery. If you know somebody else with a TI-84 Plus C SE, you can swap batteries and see which calculator still has the problem.
Alright. Thank You but I want to know if TI would replace it for free if they find out tat it is legitimately faulty. Can you please clarify that for me? Thank You very much!!!

Teddy123
teddy123 wrote:
Alright. Thank You but I want to know if TI would replace it for free if they find out tat it is legitimately faulty. Can you please clarify that for me? Thank You very much!!!

Teddy123
If you didn't do anything outside of using normal mini-USB cables connected to TI's charger or a computer to charge the calculator, and the battery failed, then it is certainly their responsibility to replace the battery for free. I recommend that you try the battery swap that DrDnar suggested to have more information for when you contact TI-CARES>
You have to call them, and they will explain everything. They will ask questions and depending on how the conversation goes, they will give you further directions. If they find that the battery is faulty, or something is wrong with the calculator, they will replace.
Thank You. I am just not sure if they would replace it because I bought at Walmart and not directly from TI website. Thanks for your help!!!

Teddy123
teddy123 wrote:
Thank You. I am just not sure if they would replace it because I bought at Walmart and not directly from TI website. Thanks for your help!!!

Teddy123
I don't even think TI sells their calculators directly through their website to consumers, so you're fine on that count.
Yes, they mail you a new calculator for free. If you choose to do a warranty return, you might be without a calculator for up to two weeks, although less than one week is normal if you live in the contiguous 48 (USA) States. They might make you pay for shipping the old calculator to them (I really don't remember), but they definitely cover the cost of shipping the new calculator. If you're in high school or middle school, you might want to ask your parents to prepare the calculator for shipping to ensure it isn't damaged in transport, since TI won't be able to evaluate whether the calculator was faulty if it was damaged in transport.
Thank You. I have done the submit form. I am waiting for the response. Thanks all for your help.

Teddy123
Do you guys know how long TI-Cares take to reply?

Thank You very much!

Teddy123
Since it's a weekend, they'll probably take until at least Monday morning or afternoon. If you're impatient to hear back from them, you can call their 1-800 number during Texas business hours (ie, 9am-5pm CST).
Thank You very much. I submitted the form on Thursday and I still haven't got a reply. That's why I wanted to confirm. Thanks a lot.

Teddy123
Sorry for the LATE reply. I actually got an answer from TI after the weekend from my last message to this topic. (April 27 2014) They asked me for the battery details and other info and told me to send the calculator to them for a replacement. That day I took out the battery to get the details. After I did I straightened the wire of the battery and put it back inside and closed it. I just tried charging it after that and it did charge! I was very happy and I informed TI that day. It has been charging well all these days after that and it will continue to do so. I believe the problem was that the wires were pushed and bunched up. Once it was straight, it started charging perfectly. I just wanted to inform you all in case if you get the same problem, you could try this method. Thanks a lot for your help all!!!

Teddy123
Thanks a lot for coming back and giving us an update on the situation. Now we know to suggest that to other users that are having issues with batteries that seem to not hold a charge.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours