Friends-

For much of our history, we have steadfastly stood by our original goal of creating the canonical repository for all applications and utilities for TI Graphing Calculators, and we're proud of our accomplishments. While calls of greater tools for collaboration have always been present, we have focused on mailing lists and presence in the IRC community as our primary means of encouraging users to work with each other. The internet is changing around us, and we need to adapt. That's why we're proud to be partnering with Cemetech.net to create the ticalc forums, powered by Cemetech.

"Having Cemetech power our forums seemed like a much better idea than building our own system from the ground up. We can leverage their expertise in forum management, and they can benefit from our extensive file archive.," Magnus Hagander of ticalc.org said.

The transition will take place slowly, with some minor co-branding of our themes beginning immediately. After we migrate our existing user database into Cemetech's system, we'll move their forums to a new URL under the ticalc.org namespace. In the near term, the two entities will remain largely independent, with different management and administration united under a common goal.

Many of Cemetech's tools, such as jsTIfied, will be integrated with the ticalc file archives, allowing users to quickly preview applications prior to download. The Cemetech news system will be merged with that of ticalc, and the sites will present a single news source going forward. The cemetech archive will be migrated into ticalc.

All too often we see the well-meaning efforts of inexperienced administrators who are unable to preserve historical links and features," Hagander continued, "We will take our time, and we will do it right. When we have a release to show the community, it will be fully-functional and production ready." Christopher "Kerm" Mitchell, founder of Cemetech, was excited with the possibilities. "I've wanted to work with ticalc.org since I was in middle school. When they reached out to me about having Cemetech run their forums, we immediately agreed. On behalf of my entire staff, we can't wait to get started!"

On behalf of the entire ticalc.org staff, we look forward to seeing what new and exciting projects the community creates with these new consolidated tools. We'll keep you informed as this process moves forward during the coming weeks.

-- the ticalc.org and Cemetech staff
I look forward to developing this partnership further, particularly with regards to a more integrated leadership team, as I have greatly enjoyed working with the ticalc.org staff during the days leading up to this announcement. I also believe many users will benefit from the planned integration of jsTIfied into the ticalc.org archives for live-testing those pieces of software prior to downloading.
This is indeed great news. I have always wondered why the resources were never unified. Collaboratively we will present a greater movement in the eyes of TI.
Another bit of great news I heard, is that Windows 8.1 might be free.
Almost 40years ago Bill Gates wrote the famous "open letter" to hobbyists proclaiming that software should never and can never be "free".
I feel that unifying the community is a great concept. people can always get things accomplished better when they work together, instead of fighting over meaningless concepts.

a few questions:

with the merging Userbases, how will this impact those who have accounts on both? and, if they have separate nicks, then can we pick and choose? (rid myself of the last initial Very Happy)

again, now regarding files, how will duplicate files (one cemetech, one ticalc) be handled in the archives? is this all being hand-sorted?

Also, will the cemetech SAX be implemented into ticalc? i'd hate to just keep a tab open when i switch from one to the other, so i dont miss too much conversation.
Rumor has it that in a year, ticalc.org will merge with casiocalc.org in order to solve the problem of the Casio Prizm subforum and archives that came with the Cemetech merge. Leaked plans mention the following three new domain domain names: casioticalc.org, ticasiocalc.org and hey-dontforgetaboutcemetech.net.
Will this mean that Omnimaga will become our offical nemesis? Of course, since they are controlled by TI, we must stand firm with the hobbyists.
allynfolksjr wrote:
We will take our time, and we will do it right.

Very convincing, so far Wink

Opera 12.16 | Firefox
Opera 20 | Internet Explorer
Chrome | Safari

All the cemetech archives have disappeared... I hope only for a short period. And I don't really understand the reason behind moving our archives to ticalc.org

I'm sorry but I'm against this merger. The design is broken, the archives are lost and some links are broken. Please do something
balping wrote:
All the cemetech archives have disappeared...

See why I chose hosting and downloading from my servers as the preferred download method for my programs? The uptime might not be very good, especially if some day I can't maintain them, but at least I have full control and if the downloads stop working it's solely my responsibility.
This is really exciting, honestly. This is something that Kerm and elfprince have mentioned to me multiple times over the last couple of weeks as something that they're really excited to start considering. I'm overjoyed that they're finally going forward with this, and have managed to coordinate with the ticalc.org staff Smile

Does this mean that Nikki will finally have admin rights?? Smile

I'm also really digging the look and feel. It's refreshing to see an update to both sites Good Idea

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s19/sh/a42c92dd-c90a-416e-b2d9-e0e0978185f6/973a4867e036083cea2cd84e01c7c28b
balping wrote:
All the cemetech archives have disappeared... I hope only for a short period. And I don't really understand the reason behind moving our archives to ticalc.org
There was an oversight in some of the redirects we designed; I have since repaired the problems. For example, gbl08ma's Utilities:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/prizm/programs/utilities.zip

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm against this merger. The design is broken, the archives are lost and some links are broken. Please do something
Don't worry, the archives will be properly integrated over the coming weeks, and all of the existing files will still be accessible via their old URLs. I know it's an abrupt change now, but I'm sure you'll quickly see how much smoother things will run with the integrated sites and staffs.
Thanks, it's working now Smile
regarding the modified navigation buttons, could we make it so that the entire button can be clicked to navigate? with me, I often click more than just the text, so it gets a little frustrating.

when you get time, that is.
Will the Cemetech and TICalc profiles be merged?
16aroth6 wrote:

Profiles will be merged in a similar way to the ticalc.org author profiles were years ago. You'll have the ability to connect your accounts, but they won't be merged automatically without your permission.
chronomex wrote:
16aroth6 wrote:

Profiles will be merged in a similar way to the ticalc.org author profiles were years ago. You'll have the ability to connect your accounts, but they won't be merged automatically without your permission.

I don't have files on TICalc, but I have a profile. How would I request to have the profiles merged?
Luxen wrote:
regarding the modified navigation buttons, could we make it so that the entire button can be clicked to navigate? with me, I often click more than just the text, so it gets a little frustrating.

when you get time, that is.

Which browser are you using, IIRC this is an IE quirk that can only be worked around with black magic clear png voodoo and no sane web developer would condone.
16aroth6 wrote:
chronomex wrote:
16aroth6 wrote:

I don't have files on TICalc, but I have a profile. How would I request to have the profiles merged?

There will be an option to find and merge all the accounts that use the same email address. Staff can also do it manually for you if your email addresses don't match.
I'm in Firefox 31a1 and I need to click button text to get the link.
well, I use opera 12. and, does that mean that cemetech is fueled by "dark voodoo magic" since its buttons work fine?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours