After initial displeasure about the marriage of a high-resolution color screen with a 15MHz z80 CPU and no graphics coprocessor, the community has embraced the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. The first shell for the TI-84+CSE was released the same Back-to-School season that the calculator was available in stores, and games from a space shooter to Tetris to classic puzzle games. Graphing calculators are originally educational tools, so it stands to reason that some math and logic games would provide a good mix of education and entertainment for students. To that end, Cemetech's skilled members have been working on a variety of math games for the the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. One is Decimal Defender, inspired by a TI App of the same name. The remaining three are versions of the virally-popular 2048 by Gabriele Cirulli for the color and monochrome TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus calculators.

The original Decimal Defender was a "concept" game from TI Education to teach an intuitive understanding of scientific notation and powers of ten. The game challenges you to solve math problems by placing a decimal point. You are asked to divide or multiply a number by a power of ten, and you need to use your spaceship to shoot a decimal point into the proper place. You get two lives; solve the math problem incorrectly twice and the game ends. You get points based on how fast you answer the questions, and although you can choose to solve only multiplication or only division problems, you get more points when you solve both. A demo mode is included where the calculator will play the game for you to show you how it works. It of course requires Doors CSE 8.0 or higher, and Decimal Defender Color 1.0 is available in the Cemetech Archives.

The Javascript game 2048 has, in the past week, become nearly as popular among the intellectual crowd as the infamous Flappy Bird did among iDevice owners, so it should come as no surprise that it is already available in three calculator versions, with at least two more on the way. The goal of the game is to combine tiles displaying powers of 2 to get to a 2048 tile. You can move all the tiles on the board in one of the four cardinal directions in each turn, and tiles with the same value that slide into each other will combine to a new tile with double the value. The original game was created in Javascript by by Gabriele Cirulli, itself based on "1024" by Veewo Studio and "Threes" by Asher Vollmer. The three existing calculator versions are Calc2048 - Tile Sliding Game for monochrome calculators and Calc2048 Color for the TI-84+CSE, both by UnknownLoner, and 2048 Color for DCSE by Kerm Martian. TIFreak8x and geekboy are both working on potential future 2048 versions.

If you own a TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, you should try these educational math games out as soon as possible. If you're a programmer, why not think about some educational games of your own that you could create?

Downloads
Decimal Defender Color 1.0
Calc2048 - Tile Sliding Game for TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus
2048 Color for DCSE
Calc2048 Color

*bump* 16aroth6 discovered a bug with scores larger than 4 digits in 2048 Color. Please update to the latest released version of 2048 Color if you run into this problem.
UnknownLoner's version is excellent. I just downloaded it. Expect a file review soon.
Really? I can't move my tiles up and down!
willwac wrote:
It's a silly question, I'm sure, but you had the board in a state in which tiles could in fact move up and down?
To make it more of a math game, I'm in favor of adding in some other interesting sequences! Besides powers of two, and fibonaccis, you could also try powers of three with a lower target but requiring three in a row! Perhaps "729" (2187 seems cruel and unusual).
elfprince13 wrote:
To make it more of a math game, I'm in favor of adding in some other interesting sequences! Besides powers of two, and fibonaccis, you could also try powers of three with a lower target but requiring three in a row! Perhaps "729" (2187 seems cruel and unusual).
Yeah, someone (or me) needs to make the Fibonacci version at least one of these days, and the other versions sound like fun too. I also wanted to make the Doge spritesheet, but somehow I managed to not get around to that.
KermMartian wrote:
willwac wrote:
It's a silly question, I'm sure, but you had the board in a state in which tiles could in fact move up and down?

Yes. I'd give you a screenshot, but I have no way of doing that right now.
Darn, you beat me to it! Smile
2Cubed wrote:
Darn, you beat me to it! Smile
Beat you to which? 2048 or Decimal Defender? Also, welcome to Cemetech; feel free to Introduce Yourself when you get a chance.
Bug report in 2048:
Sometimes, with the new score layout, only the first 3 or so digits of the score would appear. This sometimes also results in the Best score to actually go down.
Also, after having won, then some time later, it will display the winning message again.
So...this is a cool variant: http://jamesdonnelly.github.io/Isotopic256/
elfprince13 wrote:
Wow, what an extremely frustrating version. I kept getting 128 and 64 and almost enough to make another 64, only to have the 128 decay.

JWinslow23 wrote:
Bug report in 2048:
Sometimes, with the new score layout, only the first 3 or so digits of the score would appear. This sometimes also results in the Best score to actually go down.
Also, after having won, then some time later, it will display the winning message again.
For the first reported bug, can you be more specific on the series of events that indicate this bug has occurred? Did you make a second 2048 tile?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Wow, what an extremely frustrating version. I kept getting 128 and 64 and almost enough to make another 64, only to have the 128 decay.
*bump* Beat it on about the 12th try, got as far as a score of 3618 afterwards before dying. What a tough version.
I play 2048 CSE quite a lot lately and noticed one small issue that is most likely due to xLIBC limitations: When your score reaches 10000 it loops back to 0. My highscore is 14700 by the way Very Happy
DJ_O wrote:
I play 2048 CSE quite a lot lately and noticed one small issue that is most likely due to xLIBC limitations: When your score reaches 10000 it loops back to 0. My highscore is 14700 by the way Very Happy
Download the latest version; that bug was reported and fixed during HCWP a few weeks ago. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
DJ_O wrote:
Download the latest version; that bug was reported and fixed during HCWP a few weeks ago. Smile

the new version doesn't display the score correctly between 10000 and 11000, 20000 and 21000, 30000 and 31000, ect.
the new version doesn't go above 99999
(perhaps make it score by combining tiles, not every tile moved)
there isn't an 8192 tile (or above, though I haven't gotten above the 8192 yet)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours