The latest revision of Texas Instruments' OS for the TI-84+/SE calculators, OS v2.53, will be released on February 15th, and was recently leaked to the community. It contains several new features, many of which appear to be inspired by applications written by community members and by features of other TI calculator models. It appears that applications such as PrettyPrint (now called "MathPrint" in the new two-page MODE menu), CtlgHelp, and GeoMastr hard-coded into the OS. Preliminary examination reveals there to be many new hooks and 96 new bcalls in this version.

Stay posted for more updates as more information is released.

Thanks to SirCmpwn for writing this article and researching the OS
Dang! Thats a LOT of new things. The 84 is starting to look a lot more like my 89.
woahhhh, wtf IS that?
that is what we call fail, tibasic is waaayy slowed down. Such as Disp/Output/text all are super slow when MP (math print) is turned on. Also string editing is slowed down. Also some asm flags (txtinverse to name one) are messed up, http://ourl.ca/4084
There is an easy way to turn off MathPrint, just use the CLASSIC token and it gets turned off.
Ooh i just found out you can quickly go through Entries with the up/down keys from the home screen, similar to 89.
Ran some tests to see just how slow the new OS's Output/Disp/Text commands. Note, these are in Tibasic. Here they are:

after the commands, I made it display the number it was at in the for loop.

Code:
Command     |     Speed in MP     |     Speed in Classic
Disp                     22 seconds              6 seconds
Test                       1 second                   1 second
Output                    3 seconds                   1 second

These commands I displayed "A/2", A is the For loop variable
Disp                       23 seconds                     8 seconds
Output                     4 seconds                       1 second

Text did not work in MP, because it cannot display the same way. For that I will not be posting times for Text for A/2. (it just occurred to me that I had the mode setting "Frac" turned on, I may run further tests to make sure.)

The program code went like this (I'm not using source coder btw)

Code:
MATHPRINT
starttimer->K
For(A,1,100
(command here)
End
checktimer(K->B
CLASSIC
starttimer->K
For(A,1,100
(same command here)
End
checktimer(K->C
Disp "MP", B
Disp "CLASSIC", C
[/code]
I've set up a page on Wikiti for this: http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:OS:OS_2.53MP_Changes .
I did some more testing, but my earlier post was too hard to edit. Here it is

MP means the new OS, 84 means the Ti 84+ (not se), and cls means the classic version of the OS. All numbers are in seconds, based on the checktimer function on the 84's. The times are based off of this program

Code:
Starttimer->K
For(A,1,100
(command here)
End
Checktimer(K

Disp A
MP-22
84-6
Cls-6

Output(1,1,A
MP-3
84-.25
cls-.56

Text(0,0,A
MP-1
84-1
cls-1

Disp Sin(A
MP-24
84-8
cls-8

Output(1,1,Sin(A
MP-5
84-2
Cls-2

Text(0,0,Sin(A
MP-5
84-4
Cls-4
oh my god...
that speed is pathetic.
Razz yep, but what can you expect from TI
upon researching...
it's only that slow with mathprint on.
I find it hard to believe that "Disp Sin(A" in classic is faster than the 84+ I'll recheck that, maybe I forgot something

edit: Yep, I checked it. It is supposed to be 8
Lol, I think I'm tunning 2.22 on my calculator...
That OS is wicked fast at DISP and graphing and such.
Interestingly enough, when you encounter an error, it Displays: Error
Does the CLASSIC function cause errors on old OS's?
BrandonW has been working on a secret project. I'd find it hilarious if he was working with TI after all this time on a new OS Razz
Rhombus P. wrote:
The link protocol should prevent you from sending programs containing the Classic token (or any of the new 2.53MP tokens) to a calculator containing a lower-version OS.
Reapex wrote:
0x5, I think I'm tunning 2.22 on my calculator...
That OS is wicked fast at DISP and graphing and such.

Except that 2.21 and 2.22 are horribly unstable. And they have known sequence graphing bugs.

Reapex wrote:
Interestingly enough, when you encounter an error, it Displays: Error

Yeah, because that's what the TI-73 does, and they're attempting to mimic it through MathPrint.

magicdanw wrote:
BrandonW has been working on a secret project. I'd find it hilarious if he was working with TI after all this time on a new OS

I've never worked with TI on anything (which is actually a blessing, since I'm not bound by non-disclosure agreements or anything), and I doubt I ever will.
KermMartian wrote:
Rhombus P. wrote:
The link protocol should prevent you from sending programs containing the Classic token (or any of the new 2.53MP tokens) to a calculator containing a lower-version OS.

thats what i was afraid of Sad

i was hoping they would be smart enough to not have this problem, so the token does stuff on the 2.53 but on older OS's buts showed up as a string or something, that way you dont have to make two different versions of your program

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours