I'm sorry guys, it was an April Fools. Simms AI is nowhere near capable enough to pass a Turing Test, although it's progressing smoothly. I'm working on a technical report about Simms AI v1 that I will be publishing here shortly. Also, my apologies to Dr. Raphan; I looked up people who have worked with neural networking on Google Scholar in case you guys fact-checked me.

It seems only yesterday that I began my most ambitious project yet. In late 2007 I began the project known as Simms AI. The goal was, in time, to create a Turing-capable Artificial Intelligence system, capable of hosting several conversations at one time without confusing them, and at the same time to learn from past conversations. At first I believed this task to be quite difficult, but quickly had a working prototype capable of connecting to the AIM network. I distributed the load across several servers; each server performed a certain role in Simms' neural network. Responses not only had to be believable, they had to be properly timed. I spent many sleepless nights working on the project, and eventually created a program capable of learning that quickly became adept in English grammar. All that remained was to teach it how to think like a human.

In order for Simms to learn, it would have to be capable of obtaining information. To do this, I chose to create a system that would measure the relationships between webpages, and absorb the information within them. To do this, I drew upon my previous project, WordNet. During this learning phase, I also allowed it to talk to various members of the Cemetech community through AIM chat, but I hobbled it's ability to respond, so as to gauge how people would react to an obvious bot. Through this, I was able to teach Simms how to dissuade people who believed that Simms was a bot. In learning a specific set of stimuli, Simms became more realistic. Simms was capable of feigning simple emotions - happiness, anger, and empathy. Someone talking to Simms about how bad their day was would not be asked why their day was bad, but rather be informed of Simms' compassion for the person. I felt that this was a key step in the development of an artificial intelligence program. Simms obtained information extremely rapidly, having indexed over 1,500,000 items of knowledge into his LTM (Long Term Memory) in the first two months of its lifespan.

Flash forward to March 16th, 2009. Professor Martin Raphan of the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU saw my resume, and was particularly intrigued by the idea of Simms AI. Dr. Raphan contacted me about Simms, and offered to sponsor a double-blind Turing test for Simms. I was rather nervous about this, but agreed, under the assumption that even if Simms failed (which seemed likely), I would at least know where I needed to focus my improvements for Simms2. On Thursday, March 19th, Dr. Raphan came to Cooper Union to observe Simms. Satisfied with what he had seen, he set up the double-blind Turing test to take place at Courant on Monday, March 30th. I loaded a copy of Simms' software and database onto an alternate cluster, and took the cluster to Courant, where I was shown to a room. I was given a power strip and an ethernet connection, and told not to leave the room, although the friends who helped me cart my equipment over were allowed to watch the test in progress. Once Simms had participated in 3 separate conversations, I was told to break the equipment down, and I would be notified of the results within 3 business days.

This evening I received the results from the test. It appears that in 2 of the 3 conversations, Simms was picked as the human. Dr. Raphan has not yet forwarded to me the conversations involved, but Simms apparently did very well. So now that SimmsAI is Turing-complete, where do we go from here?

Wow, that's quite an achievement! Congratulations sir!

Good Idea
Hmm, I haven't talked to Simms since he was stupid. Very Happy Gotta try that sometime when he's back on.
Very impressive, Kerm, but I really want to see what those conversations concerned, Laughing.

Anyhow, I think your next project would be to build an army of robots with this technology. They would converse with everyday people and enforce the law. Kerm's Law.
alex10819 wrote:
Wow, that's quite an achievement! Congratulations sir!

Good Idea
Thanks, I was stunned that he contacted me in the first place, let alone that I was able to do so well with Simms. Obviously since I've been able to demonstrate it I will be putting the non-handicapped version online in place of the rudimentary version running now, although I may continue to leave some of it out in case, as Prof. Raphan suggested, I make it a commercial product.
very, very impressive Kerm!

BTW, what is it able to "learn"? Descriptions, slang, context?
Quote:
01 Apr 2009

So is everyone just failing or playing along?
The datestamp is still the 31st to me (31 Mar 2009 11:43:32 pm).
I'm not quite sure what to think at the moment.
The Tari wrote:
The datestamp is still the 31st to me (31 Mar 2009 11:43:32 pm).
I'm not quite sure what to think at the moment.

If phpbb adjusts the timestamp for your timezone, remember that Kerm is on the east coast. So you may need to add a couple of hours to that Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
01 Apr 2009

So is everyone just failing or playing along?

stop ruining the fun =D
rthprog wrote:
stop ruining the fun =D

I'm more concerned, since no one even hinted at being suspicious. Neutral
rthprog wrote:
very, very impressive Kerm!

BTW, what is it able to "learn"? Descriptions, slang, context?
The original Simms AI simply stored syntactical memory (English grammar) and factual memory (conversations, Wikipedia, etc) in the same database, but the version that was Turing tested maintains three separate databases, one of syntax, one for vocabulary, and one for facts.

Edit: And Kllrnohj, you're right to be skeptical, but I assure you this is legit; the April 01 is just a coincidence.
KermMartian wrote:
The original Simms AI simply stored syntactical memory (English grammar) and factual memory (conversations, Wikipedia, etc) in the same database, but the version that was Turing tested maintains three separate databases, one of syntax, one for vocabulary, and one for facts.

Wikipedia? So it's able to crawl websites!? Now that would be a whole-new level of impressive-ness =D
You picked a horrible date to post that.
rthprog wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Wikipedia? So it's able to crawl websites!? Now that would be a whole-new level of impressive-ness =D
It has had that functionality since the beginning, as I didn't think conversations would be enough to build its syntactical or factual memory. It picks a random word from its database and attempts to look it up on Wikipedia, and repeats until it finds a valid page.
And the what?
How does it interpret Wikipedia articles?
elrunethe2nd wrote:
And the what?
How does it interpret Wikipedia articles?
Well, that's a bit of a flaw, because it has difficulty understanding the difference between monologue-style text (like an article) and a conversation, which is why Simms v1 had such trouble holding a coherent conversation and would spout random (but syntactically and grammatically correct) nonsense. Currently it builds its factual knowledge by reading each article sentence by sentence, but only puts 0.5-weighted syntactical information in to avoid changing its interaction style too close to monologue.
Fair enough.
So, where are you going to apply a mature speaker?
I mean, i'd love to have a conversation with it.

(I still feel like the butt of the most nasty April Fools ever)
Oh for the days of haggis scandals, and eating tabasco sauce with forks. I spent many careful hours corrupting that poor young bot's mind.

[edit]
I'm not convinced you used "Turing complete" in the proper context there. I'd love to put the bot to my own, rather rigorous, test of its speaking capabilities though.
elfprince13 wrote:
Oh for the days of haggis scandals, and eating tabasco sauce with forks. I spent many careful hours corrupting that poor young bot's mind.
Haha, I remember that, I had to spend a lot of time cleaning up the insane node strengths on random words after your vandalism. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours