I was just wondering if anybody knew how to make custom sprites like the ones in Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior onto the TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition calculators. I am working on a game and wanted to know how to make the sprites. How do you make them and do they take up a lot of memory?
Question: Are you opposed to using Assembly/Machine Code? That would speed it up

However, if you want to do Ti BASIC, you probably are best off doing something like this...

Where R is the row of the sprite, C is the column

Pxl-On(R, C, RED) //Middle point
Pxl-On(R, C + 1, RED) //Bottom peg
Pxl-On(R, C - 1, RED) //Top peg
Pxl-On(R + 1, RED) //Right peg
Pxl-On(R - 1, RED) //Left peg

That would draw a red "+" at some random spot - note, be sure to not fall out of bounds!

Hope that helps!
You were the one that wanted to make something like Mana Force, right? If that's the case, I'll assume you're using the hybrid libraries.
There are two hybrid libs available through DCSE: Celtic and xLIBC. Celtic is mainly used for file manipulation (it can edit appvars and programs) but it has a few graphics-related functions, including DispColor, which was used in DJ_O's Mana Force.

If you want to make actual sprites, though, you'll have to use xLIBC (or Celtic's sprite functions, but those are a pain to use in games) along with TokenIDE, a tool Merthsoft made. Click the aptly-named Sprite Editor option in the Tools menu to open the sprite editor, and set the dimensions to 128x64. Since xLIBC sprites are read in 8x8 chunks, I'd recommend checking the Draw Grid box so you know where you're drawing.
Once you're done making your spritesheet, hit Ctrl-S and, in the dropdown below the text box, select xLIB tiles (*.8xv) and send the resulting file to your calculator.

I wrote this post in a rush, so I know it's a mess. I'll post a better explanation later; feel free to ask about anything you need clarification for in the meantime.
If you wnt real sprites, do as M. I. says, with Tokens. You may need a bit more explaination on that, in wich the DCS libraries's wiki should serve a good resource, but, if you need more explanation, discussing in SAX may be your best bet Wink

My explanation was a bit rushed as well, but I hope it sufficed in expanding the above explanation a bit Smile
"You were the one that wanted to make something like Mana Force, right?"
No, I want to make a game similar to Final Fantasy 2 that I will call Mana Quest if I finish it. I was also the person who wanted to add a system where a character's strengths is determined by how much they use a certain skill like gaining magic by casting spells and gaining attack by fighting without magic.

Thanks for the information, but would you recommend the colored text sprites or original sprites using xLib?
Calc_Knight, Your options are indeed numbered, but you should also think about using plots. I'm starting to play around with them, and its kinda interesting, use this page for information:
http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/83p/b/elfprince/l1.htm
Using this, provided you dont use any other libraries, the game should also work on the TI-84 CE! It'll take more memory than text sprites, but give you much more versatility for sprites.

However, xLibc/Celtic sprites are easier to use. memory usage is moderate (less than plotsprites, but more than textsprites).

Blackhawk suggests drawing sprites yourself using pt/pxl commands; dont. unless you specifically need to individually modify a single pixel and update the screen at a time, then this only slows you down by quite a bit.

Use whatever you feel is easiest for you to use.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours