Yet another project I'm starting today is going to be a game controller for my TI 84 PCSE. The controller will be made out of an old SNES Controller I found in my desk at home. The buttons will be as follows:

D-pad = arrow keys
A = enter
B = 2nd
X = y=
Y = ALPHA
L = Mode
R = Clear
START = ON
SELECT = prgm

This arrangement allows launghing of Doors by holding down the two middle buttons. Also, this will allow total navigation ability throughout the calculator. I will be making a new port for the controller (12 pins) on the side near the top (hopefully) and also modifying the controller as needed. Please respond with suggestions about anything here. They are always appreciated! Smile
Very cool! At first, from the title, I thought you were going to make your calculator control something else (i.e. TV, RC car, other electronic device, maybe other calculator - although I think Kerm has made that already[?]), but that is also very cool.

Basically an extension for the calculator, where you can control the things on the screen using something else other than the calc keypad? Ofc, you will have to create software that will accept this type of input. You say the keypad will be the same thing as the arrows, which would be pretty easy to program, but what about the joystick thingy(i think there are 2 of them on most controllers)? Will you try to use that too or only the keys you mentioned? If so, that will obv be a little tougher to program, but it's possible! maybe twisting it would rotate something on the screen, how far it's pushed off center could be speed, and direction could change the slope of something moving on the screen? Idk, but those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

Good luck!
Michael2_3B wrote:
Very cool! At first, from the title, I thought you were going to make your calculator control something else (i.e. TV, RC car, other electronic device, maybe other calculator - although I think Kerm has made that already[?]), but that is also very cool.

Basically an extension for the calculator, where you can control the things on the screen using something else other than the calc keypad? Ofc, you will have to create software that will accept this type of input. You say the keypad will be the same thing as the arrows, which would be pretty easy to program, but what about the joystick thingy(i think there are 2 of them on most controllers)? Will you try to use that too or only the keys you mentioned? If so, that will obv be a little tougher to program, but it's possible! maybe twisting it would rotate something on the screen, how far it's pushed off center could be speed, and direction could change the slope of something moving on the screen? Idk, but those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

Good luck!

He said it was an SNES controller, meaning that all it has is a D-Pad. No joysticks.

Botboy: How are you going to handle character input? The SNES controller obviously doesn't have a numerical keypad on it, so are you planning to just stick with the 12 buttons you mentioned?
M. I. Wright wrote:
He said it was an SNES controller, meaning that all it has is a D-Pad. No joysticks.

Oh, sorry. I think the first time I tried to view the link it had some sort of error or something so I couldn't see it.

Anyways, can't wait to see this Smile

Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, would it theoretically be possible to use one calculator to control everything on another calculator, wirelessly? Maybe turn everything on the controller calculator off, but have the keypresses on it activate the same keypress on the other calculator (wirelessly, ofc)? You would have to have the other calculator in sight to do this.

Or maybe even less feasible, have the controller calculator able to see what the receiving calculator is seeing, so basically like logmein where you can control another computer from a distance away.

This probably doesn't sound feasible at all (at least to me), but would it (theoretically) be possible, wirelessly? If not wirelessly, maybe wired, but using globalcalcnet or something of the sort?
So, yes, it was originally going to be a SNES controller but when I cracked it open, the contacts for the buttons are EXTREMELY hard to solder to and when you got them on they wouldn't stick. So, I am making my own controller with parts from the SNES controller to keep the overall goal Wink I was planning to use the contacts under the buttons on the calc, but when I look at it, I'm not sure if the calc buttons that have the modification will still be able to function. Ideas? Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, so I've hit a roadblock... I don't know how to connect the wires to the button contacts on the calc. I don't want to solder to it for obvious reasons. Hot glue? I am using very thin wire so that's not a problem I don't think. Anyone with suggestions can respond freely.
So, I have made the new port on the calc. Here's a pic:

I will have to be taking it out again to solder the wires to the ends (which proved to be EXTREMELY hard without a fine soldering iron. For now I will be working on the controller and the plug that plugs into that new port. This is still open for suggestion and ideas so feel free to respond Smile
Ok, so the new controller I have made just needs the final wires that will be soldered to the thing that plugs into the calc. There is a new button plan which is:

D-pad = arrow keys
A = enter
B = 2nd
X = Mode
Y = ALPHA
Big middle button = ON
Small middle button = Clear

This still can change but it can only change while I still haven't made the actual internal mods to the calc. Still open for suggestion. Thanks for everyone's support so far! Very Happy
This looks very cool, indeed! It would be pretty neat to have an external controller for the calc. Well done also for getting into the calculator and modding it. I'd be far too scared to do that, myself.

Quick question, though; have you considered using an Arduino or ATTiny chip in your controller to send keypress data to the calc using arTIcl, through the calculator's 2.5mm link port?
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
have you considered using an Arduino or ATTiny chip in your controller to send keypress data to the calc using arTIcl, through the calculator's 2.5mm link port?

No, I have not. Tell me if I'm wrong but I feel that that would produce some sort of lag along the way. Also I'm already using my arduino for the 3D printer in my 3D projector printer Topic. Thanks for the input though! if I do something like this again I might consider going that way Smile
How come you come you are making a new port? Couldn't you control through the existing ports?
Yay! I have finished the controller (except maybe for some aesthetics) and all I have left to do is the mass amounts of soldering! Very Happy Razz
Here are some pics:

I'm still trying to find a safe way to attach the ends of the wires that will be inside the calc to the button contacts inside the calc. If the only way is to solder then I will do that but if there are any other ways then please let me know. Thanks everyone! Smile

LuckyGhost wrote:
How come you come you are making a new port? Couldn't you control through the existing ports?

I feel like if I used one of the existing ports then there would be lag along the way and that's not desired when you're trying to fly through pipes or dodge calcuzap bullets Wink
LuckyGhost wrote:

It's because you cannot control through the ports, as many such programs do not provide this functionality. I think that this would be the best way to go about it, and it is looking quite spiffy! Smile As for connecting to buttons, you may want to consider using a thin strip and gluing it over the left and right pads, and then soldering to the strip, rather than the pads themselves. Just an idea; I'll probably come up with something better soon. Smile
Does anyone have any comments on my last post? I know it's not very feasible but I was just wondering....

Also, it looks good so far, Botboy! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
LuckyGhost wrote:
you may want to consider using a thin strip and gluing it over the left and right pads, and then soldering to the strip, rather than the pads themselves. Just an idea; I'll probably come up with something better soon. Smile

What do you mean by thin strips?
Michael2_3B wrote:
Does anyone have any comments on my last post? I know it's not very feasible but I was just wondering....

Also, it looks good so far, Botboy! Smile

All of those things are entirely possible. It's just doing them to get things working. As for wireless transmission, I would highly recommended the nrf24l01 radio module; it is highly easy to set up with an arduino and get running, has a nice range, and is extremely cheap: I got a pack of 10 for 10 dollars. Of course, the nrf24l01+ will also make a good choice as well.

Botboy3000 wrote:
What do you mean by thin strips?

Just a small flat metal contact that overlays the button etching.
Awesome! I'll look into those, maybe I can make my own out of duct tape and tin foil?
Ok, It's the weekend and I want to finish this project up. I still am looking for a way to attach wires to the button contacts safely. Tape and tin foil didn't work that well. I am not looking forward to soldering to it but I will if I have to. If there is anyone out there that knows of a quick and safe way to do this then please answer below. Thanks! Smile
I don't think soldering directly to the button contacts is a good choice, since it will invariably affect the flatness of the contact. The corresponding contacts on the keyboard membrane are not very flat, so it's likely that your solder job would compromise the correct functioning of the calculator's keyboard.
Tari wrote:
I don't think soldering directly to the button contacts is a good choice, since it will invariably affect the flatness of the contact. The corresponding contacts on the keyboard membrane are not very flat, so it's likely that your solder job would compromise the correct functioning of the calculator's keyboard.

Yes. And that's why I want to try as hard as I can to not do that. If it is the only way I will do my best to find the finest solder that I can and use as little as possible to keep it on. Do you have any suggestions for other methods of attachment?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours