The (interesting) differences between OS 1.04 (Old) and OS 1.04 (New) are at:

0x0F4D50..0x0F5060 (+0x08)
0x1AEA1C..0x1AEAD0 (+0x3C)
0x24BEC4..0x24BF30 (+0x18)
0x2ECB7C..0x2ECEC4 (+0x20)
0x679BB0..0x679C10 (+0x64)
0x691434..0x691508 (+0x88)
0x6916AA..0x6917C0 (+0x08)

The value in parentheses specifies the added byte count.
I did not yet check with the disassembler but some parts could be syscalls and might already be documented in Simon's documentation. Also, there is the new text string "This function is not available on this emulator" and its translations.

Most likely this new 1.04 exists to include some bug fix (or new driver for the Macronix chip), which was more or less urgent but they didn't want to release it for other calculators, until OS 2.00.
Got it, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing those discoveries. If I magically find some free time, I'll poke into that a bit more, but I doubt I'll get the time. :/
If you buy a new Prizm with hardware revision 001V04, you will notice that it comes with a newer LCD 3A36B-1 (instead of 3A36-1/2).
This display provides more accurate colors. For instance, blue, red and magenta are now more vivid. The white initially feels a bit darker but it's still better compared with the old white which sometimes looks a bit yellowish (especially on early fx-CG10 models).
Is there a way to tell which hardware revision it is before buying it?
Perhaps by looking at the serial number on the back and trying to figure the hardware revision from the production date (which is included in the serial)? However, I'm not sure if we already know how to relate production dates to hardware revisions, even if vaguely.
To see the serial number, you need to open the (hard) plastic case the Prizm comes in, but maybe some stores will let you do this, e.g. for making sure the device works before you take it home.
Quote:
For me, it's the red that annoys me - RGB(255, 0, 0) has always looked too light/pink for me.

I can confirm that red is now real red.
Thanks to the large and bright fx-CP400 display. Casio engineers finally realized they had to improve it.

Quote:
Is there a way to tell which hardware revision it is before buying it?

I don't guarantee that all revision 001V04 boards are connected to the newer LCD. Repaired models don't have it.

On Ebay, the easiest way is to ask for the OS version number:
OS 1.04.0201 or 1.04.3201 designate the latest hardware revision
OS 1.04.0200 or 1.04.3200 or earlier designate older ones.

If a model already has OS 2.00 installed (2.00.0200 or 2.00.3200), then it is impossible to distinguish new hardware models from old ones.

Another way is to ask for the product code on the back.

Code:

755DW35MA189715
xxxxxYMxxxxxxxx
Year : 2008..2017
Month: 1..9, X, Y, Z

Which means my calculator was produced in May 2013.
You can probably assume that any device produced in 2014 comes with the new hardware.

So if you really want to be sure that your Prizm has the new hardware, then you should not buy it in a retail store or at Amazon.
Quote:
So if you really want to be sure that your Prizm has the new hardware, then you should not buy it in a retail store or at Amazon.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. I'd like to be able to see the new colors without having to do a lot of guesswork when buying.
Most online stores may already sell the new version.
But can I be sure that that's the version I'll get, as opposed to the old version they just happened to find a box full of that they now want to get rid of? Can you confirm any north american stores selling the new version?
Quote:
But can I be sure that that's the version I'll get?

No, you can't. You buy it on your own "risk".
If you really care, use ebay and ask for details.
By the way, Casio is going to renew its entire graphing calculator line.
These models will have an LED and an exam mode, as has been reported by the website www.tiplanet.org
Yeah, we expect any day now the official notice that the main French standardized test is going to become as silly as the tests of most other countries, by requiring usage of an exam mode, in 3 years from now...
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Yeah, we expect any day now the official notice that the main French standardized test is going to become as silly as the tests of most other countries, by requiring usage of an exam mode, in 3 years from now...

What will it mean for Casio FX-CG please if you know:

Will they be allowed at exams as is?
Or will they have to be cleared of all non-Casio add-ins?
Or even some or all Casio add-ins would have to go? i.e full reset before exam?
Or will they be required a new OS with exam mode? How will it be unlockable - via code entry or attachment of another device by teacher?

Just wondering
Quote:
Will they be allowed at exams as is?

The old models will be permitted until 2017.

Quote:
Or will they be required a new OS with exam mode?

An LED is needed and that requires new hardware.

Quote:
Or will they have to be cleared of all non-Casio add-ins?
Or even some or all Casio add-ins would have to go?

Casio is normally looking for simple solutions and I don't think they are going to sign their software. So add-in support will most likely be removed. The user memory will also be deleted when starting the exam mode.

Quote:
How will it be unlockable - via code entry or attachment of another device by teacher?

We don't know.
Thanks, TeamFX.

I was confused what LED was for - I understand this feature now.

I will be unhappy if European regulators ban Casio FX-CG - I think it should remain approved as they allowed it before and people bought them and got used to using them based on Casio statements that it was permitted for various exams. So it would be now unfair to force people to spend more money on new calculators and get used to them if they already purchased FX-CG.

Why should not European Regulators be happy with Initialize All Reset in worst case which clears absolutely everything - or normal reset leaving add-ins like Geometry and so on as per Casio manual.

The proposed ban is just hurting competition between calculator manufactures, resulting in customers suffering unfair costs and discrimination especially if they have never used TI or HP calculators. I would be surprised if Casio does not protect itself by sending lawyers to fight any prospect of FX-CG ban with the regulator as the Casio itself will be sued by its customers should the approval for those calculators disappear, causing Casio big reputational/financial damage.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours