willwac wrote:
How about this?
Everyone who has a crappy life runs away from home with their contraband and any money they have.
We then find ourselves to Utah (As that seems to be the everyone's favorite place in this topic) and build a house.

Cause Utahs the best Laughing
ordelore wrote:
16aroth6 wrote:
willwac wrote:
How about this?
Everyone who has a crappy life runs away from home with their contraband and any money they have.
We then find ourselves to Utah (As that seems to be the everyone's favorite place in this topic) and build a house.

Remember? We don't have money...

Not if we mine Bitcoins! I can get us ~0.20 cents a week in a few months!

I love BitCoins... except I can't figure out how to mine them without my ROTC computer starting up its' fan and pissing off someone who will turn it off...
KermMartian wrote:
We know your life sucks. For the most part, that's true of all of us more often than not every day or week or month. Rant about what's on your mind, the annoyingly boring stuff you're doing at work, the homework assignment of doom that will never end. Hopefully you'll feel a bit better after sharing your woes.

As for homework, I had to do 3 very LONG reviews to do on Monday. But I only had one test Tuesday. I have a test today and tomorrow.
willwac wrote:
You know, I don't really like this topic. Why focus on the bad parts of life? What about the good parts? I've seen my friend take a gun, a it and put it to his head threatening to kill himself because "[his] life sucked, and [he has] no friends." I was able to show and tell him the good things he's done and what not. But suicide is a permeant solution to a temporary problem. We all have highs and lows of our lives, but it will get better, I promise you.
I agree about the suicide part. We just permanently lost a TI community member to it last summer and we miss him, and in December 2010 I almost went on the verge of doing it (for worse reasons, though) before the police was called on me and sent me to the hospital. The next thing I knew is that within the next year, real life would slowly start to improve (although it took me nearly 1.5 years for my health to somewhat recover)

I guess the topic is fine, though, since this is in rants, so we can rant about bad stuff that happens. Omni has a section too, but while it's not exclusively dedicated to life issues, it was hidden since people sometimes share personal info about themselves such as LGBT/coming out that could threaten their lives or make their lives unlivable if they get caught.
I remember that story. A few months ago, my friend in Sweden called me on Skype with a real and loaded gun to his head. I called the suicide hotline because I couldn't change his mind. He's still here, doing well, but I wish that no one has to be on either end of that. It's extremely scary, and I believe that God put you here for a good reason, and I think that he should decide your time to die, not you.
My life does not suck. However, I wish I had continued in my IT career instead of jumping off it when the dotcom bubble exploded (UK). I also wish I had continued (learning) programming in assembly the early home computers after the UK Home Computer marked imploded in 1983.

What does one learn ? Believe in your own convictions and do not let other people dissuade you otherwise. Finding Cemetech has helped rekindle my enthusiasm. It has also shown me what can be achieved with a focused mind and collaborative effort. Once again, it's cool to do geek. Smile
[Pardon the necropost. I need to rant about this.]

Dealing with my parents is getting ever more frustrating. Not only do they seem to think that I must be watched on the computer at all times, they also continually give me crap about how I emailed my counselor about suicidal feelings I was having a couple of months ago (they're gone now, no thanks to the massive bill from the ER), and they still don't accept the fact that I am transgender. It's like they want to mold me into something I'm not. And then when I try to explain my frustration to them, they just shut me out and yell at me. Brilliant communication. My family is just soo screwed up.
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:
[Pardon the necropost. I need to rant about this.]

Dealing with my parents is getting ever more frustrating. Not only do they seem to think that I must be watched on the computer at all times, they also continually give me crap about how I emailed my counselor about suicidal feelings I was having a couple of months ago (they're gone now, no thanks to the massive bill from the ER), and they still don't accept the fact that I am transgender. It's like they want to mold me into something I'm not. And then when I try to explain my frustration to them, they just shut me out and yell at me. Brilliant communication. My family is just soo screwed up.

I really do think that parents should give you a bit for room on the computer, and if you're worried about your parents looking at the emails you send back and forth between your counselor, then you might try another form of communication. When I try and explain some of my frustrations and feelings from my mother, I get the same response often. Just know that your mother does love you, and wants the best for you. They way she goes about that may not coincide with what you think, but as a teenager (I'm assuming you're a teen) you have to put up with that crap.
My life is going kind of bad right now. I have like 10 math assignment's that are either incomplete or have a poor grade and I have trouble concentrating to do any homework. Part of the reason I'm not getting my homework done is that all I get to do is homework. First quarter I was actually able to concentrate since I was allowed to do the diving team then come home and do homework. Now I'm not allowed be on the track team and I wasn't allowed to be on the swim team, so when I get home, I sit down, stare at my homework, get some of it done, eat dinner, try to work some more, then go to bed. I never get anything done, and my parents don't seem to understand there is more to life than school. Also I flat out hate geometry this year, and my teacher is an idiot. On a test with ~10 questions on it I got 75% since I didn't put parenthesis around the coordinates, but I got everything else right! Also my parents think that all forms of computers are terrible for you and they don't understand that as long as people don't overuse it, it can be good!!! And whenever I do my homework and get everything done, I ask if I'm allowed to play a game on the computer or get together with a friend from school they say, "do this more often and we'll think about it." Now I my friendship with two of my friends is getting worse since whenever they ask if I can come over I have to tell them my parents won't let me.
I know my parents think that all they are doing is to help, but it just seems ridiculous!!!
DWMelon wrote:
I have like 10 math assignment's that are either incomplete or have a poor grade and I have trouble concentrating to do any homework. Part of the reason I'm not getting my homework done is that all I get to do is homework. First quarter I was actually able to concentrate since I was allowed to do the diving team then come home and do homework. Now I'm not allowed be on the track team and I wasn't allowed to be on the swim team, so when I get home, I sit down, stare at my homework, get some of it done, eat dinner, try to work some more, then go to bed. I never get anything done, and my parents don't seem to understand there is more to life than school. Also my parents think that all forms of computers are terrible for you and they don't understand that as long as people don't overuse it, it can be good!!! And whenever I do my homework and get everything done, I ask if I'm allowed to play a game on the computer or get together with a friend from school they say, "do this more often and we'll think about it." Now I my friendship with two of my friends is getting worse since whenever they ask if I can come over I have to tell them my parents won't let me.

I feel you.... When I played Minecraft on the school computer in ninth grade and the school sent the SRO to my house, my parents cracked down heavily. And they allow me to do nothing at all that is not related to academics. And then, when I try to keep them from digging in my stuff (BitLocker OS drive encryption, logon password, Prey anti-theft, 56-character Google account password, fake emails...), they tell me I should be more "open".
To make it worse, they threw me out of all the clubs I went to. And they yell at me for going behind their backs, when they already took away 99% of my stuff... and they cut up my debit card.
They wonder why I'm so paranoid!!!
That does suck. Sorry to hear about it, AngelStorm.
So my life doesn't suck as much as everyone else's, at least as I see it.

But you know what does suck: confusion. I am really confused about several things at the moment, and I better get this off my chest sometime soon. Parts of it some of you have read already. First, let's start with my IRL situation.

I am busy. Too busy. Until very recently, I've had something every day of the week that wasn't school. My schedule was as follows:
Monday: Robotics after school until 6
Tuesday: Jazz Band after school until 6
Wednesday: Robotics after school until 6
Thursday: Jazz Combo after school until 5:15-5:30
Friday: Robotics after school until 7
Saturday: Robotics 10:30-6
Sunday: Youth Orchestra 2-7 (including 45 minute drive each way)
Repeat.

I no longer have Robotics on Monday or Saturday because build season is done, but now I'm taking an online Econ class with a boatload of work, which takes up a lot of my time.

Now to my internet situation and how this all relates. Until January, I was an admin of CodeWalrus. I ended up quitting for mainly personal issues with parents at the time and lack of time (Due the the schedule above) to put towards the site, but also because I just couldn't take the drama that had been surrounding the site since its announcement in December. The site is doing really well now, stats-wise, and I'm happy for the guys there. I really am. I still post, and I am on their IRC channel and other chat stuff with the guys there. They are all really good friends, and I wish them the best there.

Since then, I got promoted to news editor on Omnimaga (which is really awesome and I love it). I had been doing the job already, but it was made official, and it's great. IRL, build season had just ended, and I was feeling good. That day, though, CW nearly shut down for good, and it scared me. As said before, I love those guys and that site, and I really want them to do well. After the site got back to stability, I offered to help part-time, until summer (when I will get uber busy again), or until there is enough full-time staff. I ended up rescinding my offer because I realized I just wasn't ready. A huge part of my problems before with being an admin there was due to me not being ready for it. I just don't have the maturity to do anything more than write news, reviews, and stuff. I don't. The problem is I feel like I need to help them out. I have a feeling of loyalty towards my friends there: DJ, Juju, Street, aeTIos, Eiyeron, and the others. I just don't know how. I write news and it gets front-paged there as well from time to time, but I feel like that's not enough. At the same time, Omni's stats are lowering and I want to help the site get back up to it's old levels. I just don't know how to help, other than revitalize the front page with news and stuff. I just don't.

Back to IRL: my best friend is in a relationship with a guy I thought was awesome for her. I knew him beforehand, and he is a really nice guy. The problem is that she is getting really self conscious, and when she says something she thinks might be taken badly, she gets really upset. I mean really upset. I know the guy, and he wouldn't get angry at her for anything that she has said, but her sadness projects on to me, and it is making me sad as well. On top of that, I'm very behind in my online Econ class, and if I don't get caught up by next Wednesday, I can't go to my robotics competition that starts that Thursday. The one robotics competition of the semester.

As a result of all this, I feel very confused: Confused about my IRL friends, confused about my academics, confused about how to help people, confused about my place in the community, and confused about life in general.

Confusion sucks. My life is really confusing. My live sucks atm.
I can't recall something that would go with "Why my life sucks", so presenting "why I make other people's lives harder"

It was a day in class where we were learning Lego robotics. A group didn't know how to create a program to go around the room (so simple!) So they started stealing other people's code. I heard about it early though, so I unplugged the USB port from the computer and hid it behind the monitor. They knew I was relatively smart, so they just started deploying the code to the robot. I of course did nothing because they'd fail anyway. So they were awkwardly there for 5 minutes while I was convincing them that the computer hated the robot. Once they left, I showed the unplugged cable to my lab partner, and, well, yeah. (essays should end that way)
pimathbrainiac, it seems like you put too much on your own plate.
It's neat that you have the ability to do all of these things, but you can't worry about everything. You can't really control how CW goes, or Omni, for that matter. I'd recommend pulling out of your management roles, and just be a member. That's what I had to do, and I'm not as stressed anymore. Also, if you need help on Econ, my favorite teacher is boss at Econ, I could direct some questions to him. Just PM me.

Eightx84, how fun!
It’s even worse than I thought! In the depths of my depression, I lost interest in school. As a result my GPA is now 1.98. At the beginning of the year I had a 4.2.

This is why I spend my days building Nether Fortresses and listening to such dark music.

And it definitely doesn’t help that my parents freak out every time I sign my name "Ashley". Sad
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:
It’s even worse than I thought! In the depths of my depression, I lost interest in school. As a result my GPA is now 1.98. At the beginning of the year I had a 4.2.

This is why I spend my days building Nether Fortresses and listening to such dark music.

And it definitely doesn’t help that my parents freak out every time I sign my name "Ashley". Sad

My friend has Major Depressive Disorder, and he's having to go to a day program at the hospital to try to help with his depression. I could ask him some of the details, and PM them to you.
Also, why do your parent's freak out when you sign your name as Ashley?
This may not be a "Why Your Life Sucks" compared to most of you but I feel like it's dragging my life down to warrant a post.

I happily left my old, part time retail job last week for a new full time plus overtime job on Monday. Pretty sure I clocked in 45 hours this week. At the time I got my retail job I was younger and my parents convinced me to vigorously save for retirement via a 401k rather than putting the income into my bank. I was making about 700 a month with 300 dollars going towards car payments, insurance and gas. Another 300 bucks towards food for the month, mostly on costly in-store lunches.

I now get free meals, plus 40+ hour work weeks, plus awesome pay. So, my monthly expenses dropped by 300 dollars while my income increased almost 3 fold. In 3 months that'll drop a bit because I'll enroll on a 401k again and sign up for insurance but I digress. I've committed to putting less in a 401k, because I already have an awesome amount saved up, and more into my Savings. I've focused on paying myself a fixed income above anything else. If I fall on hard times and I lose my job after a year I'll still be "earning" $300 a month. This 300 is not used for bills, it's my money to spend how I wish.

I'll be able to afford the amenities I had before. I'll be able to buy myself a new computer and other luxuries again finally. But you know what sucks? It's not that I don't have anything to spend disposable income on, it's that I can't share my financial success with everybody. It's why I haven't plastered the gross dollar amounts. I'll still be living on $600-$700 a month.

But by taking the reigns of my finances before I grew accustomed to spending my paychecks every two weeks, I've prepared myself for financial independence in 5 to 6 years. Most importantly, buying a house. But it sucks not being able to turn to friends and saying "This is my financial plan for the next fives years! Look at how awesome this is!" It sucks not having an S.O. to share and collaborate with. It sucks knowing I've got my near future laid out and it's just me in the picture. I've contemplated about quitting my job in five years and traveling with the money instead of buying a house but then I get depressed again. I'll have to start at square one and my dreams of owning a home get delayed and it's not what I want. I'd rather own a house and travel once a year and have a home to come back to, not travel for a few years straight then find a job and a residence.

But on an upbeat note, if any of you entering the adult life and job scene want some insight on saving for your future I'll be happy to help. I don't regret putting money away, but I do regret putting all of that money into an account I can't technically touch until I'm 65.

P.S. It also sucks that I work until about 1pm and most of my friends either get home from work until 6pm or work evenings. So my social life is at a low, but that's nothing new since my retail shifts were finished no later than 3pm. I guess the upside is that I still have my weekends off. Woo?
pimathbrainiac: wow, you definitely have too much going on... btw, I'm also in FRC, and I'm the driver this year. We're leaving for competition this upcoming week. I feel a little bit of pressure as driver, but hopefully I won't be too bad. Also, what team are you on? what competition are you going to? just curious Wink

As some other people here have said, my life doesn't REALLY suck, but it does get annoying every once in a while.

I'm a sophomore in highschool and I still don't have a job, or a car, and currently the main way I earn money is by mowing the grass. Up until this year, I've always gotten straight A's every semester, but now high school seems to be getting harder and my grades are dropping slightly, into the lower B levels. If I get too much homework, I usually don't sleep, and usually I also don't get any down time. I can't imagine what people with jobs or a million clubs go through, but I'm guessing they manage. Somehow.

Seriously, sometimes I think that schools are kind of messed up. Especially high schools. I'm not saying there is an easy fix to this, but heres the problem:
Sometimes, you get all your teachers who just happen to "coincidentally" assign homework. This is likely due to a lack of collaboration. Obviously, you can't get all but 1 of your teachers to assign homework, but it's annoying when they all assign homework on the same day. Every once in a while I've had one of these days. When that happens, students like me prioritize what's more important, and sometimes you can't focus as much on other subjects. This could possibly lead to a slight downfall in grades in those subjects.

More importantly, on that topic, there are students out there who just can't focus on school or homework. Some students have parents who fight at home, they can't focus on homework, and then the next day they're expected to go to school and focus on what all their teachers are saying. However, the student is unable to focus on school because of what is happening at home. Then after a while, their grades have dropped and the parents might be mad and/or confused as to why they are doing so bad in school. And then maybe the parents fight again over this, too. How do you expect a student to focus on all that stupid paperwork or whatever when all that's running through their head is their life and how much it [might] suck? This could be why students grow up and start doing drugs or whatever just to make them forget their troubles, which is not the solution. What the school does (or what the government makes the school do) is that they make students learn about things, and then they make them go home with homework, and when this happens a lot, the student no longer interacts with their family as much, which can also lead to a downfall in family relationships. possibly.

Just 1 more thing. some teachers wonder why their students have trouble focusing on what their teaching. most of the time, it is because the teacher is boring, the subject is boring, or, a lot of the time, it is not the way the student learns best. i'm not saying that every subject can be taught by using the "hands-on" technique (for ex.), but the subject just needs to be interesting and engaging enough for the student to actually pay attention. it needs to be made even more interesting or engaging by the teacher especially if the student is like the one i mentioned in the previous paragraph.

anyways, i'm ranting. i hope this was logical and made sense Smile
My life is falling apart. I am losing interest in school, and I cannot get along with my parents for anything, and the only place I feel wanted at is my job at Bi-Lo. I don't really have that much contact with my friends anymore, and nobody cares about any of the computer systems at ROTC - or even uses anything I assemble for that matter.
You know that scene in Star Trek: Into Darkness when the Enterprise is in a tailspin and falling into the Earth as it gets shot at by the Vengeance? That's kind of how I feel. I used to be a star student, fairly well liked, and (a long time ago) able to be civil with my parents. Now I'm basically just being ground down to nothing.
On top of that, my parents are seemingly intent on tearing down everything that makes me me. They constantly watch me on the computer and allow me to do nothing non-school-related; they get mad at me for signing my name Ashley; They are hell-bent on keeping me away from all technology; they seem to dissapprove of everything I do and everything I am.
I'm in a hole. I'm going nowhere fast. And nothing seems to be helping. I already snapped before. If it happens again, this time it's going to be really bad... a thought which scares me, quite frankly. But I'm stuck. I don't know what to do or where to go.
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:
My life is falling apart. I am losing interest in school, and I cannot get along with my parents for anything, and the only place I feel wanted at is my job at Bi-Lo. I don't really have that much contact with my friends anymore, and nobody cares about any of the computer systems at ROTC - or even uses anything I assemble for that matter.
You know that scene in Star Trek: Into Darkness when the Enterprise is in a tailspin and falling into the Earth as it gets shot at by the Vengeance? That's kind of how I feel. I used to be a star student, fairly well liked, and (a long time ago) able to be civil with my parents. Now I'm basically just being ground down to nothing.
On top of that, my parents are seemingly intent on tearing down everything that makes me me. They constantly watch me on the computer and allow me to do nothing non-school-related; they get mad at me for signing my name Ashley; They are hell-bent on keeping me away from all technology; they seem to dissapprove of everything I do and everything I am.
I'm in a hole. I'm going nowhere fast. And nothing seems to be helping. I already snapped before. If it happens again, this time it's going to be really bad... a thought which scares me, quite frankly. But I'm stuck. I don't know what to do or where to go.

Wow, that seriously sucks, I wish I could help you :/ And what's with signing your name Ashley? That one just doesn't make any sense at all to me. I think some adults should actually pay attention to the news for once - according to studies, too much homework and school-related work can actually be unhealthy(Some references- Link1,Link2,Link3,Link4). Life isn't all about learning. You should enjoy it. It is unfair to expect a student to study all the time, and it is also just not practical. It only causes a downfall in grades. According to some more studies, casual gaming can relieve stress, and, if you mix in at least some studying in there, can actually help improve grades. Studying for several hours is not the best way.

Seriously Ashley, I really do feel sorry for you. I wish parents would be smarter about things like this. You need a social life, not just school. Having the ability to be social is very important for your future, so not being able to have much of a social life can hinder your social skills.

Oh, and by the way, if you say they constantly watch you, what do they think you are doing now? Do they just see calculators on this site and think your doing math homework or something? Or are they not watching you when you post this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 17 of 29
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours