I was wondering if it may be possible to somehow upgrade the ram on a Rasberry Pi?
I am considering buying one, but the low ram has me thinking about sving my money for something else.
So, any help?

I hope I posted this in the right subforum. Neutral
You can't upgrade the RAM on the Pi. But Pi2 has just been announced with 1Gb RAM and a quad core chip. I wouldn't settle for anything less Wink
Awe… So there is no way I could reformat a flash drive and redirect the ram port thing to the USB port? A forum said something about that.
No your flash drive uses flash memory with is different than RAM. WHile you could use a flash drive as "swap" memory it would only help a little and wear out your flash drive. Also with the quality of the rPi's USB and SDIO controllers you'd likely run into issues with corruption among other things fairly quickly.

TLDR, not its not really possible and due to the limitations of the rPi hardware choices its not really worth trying.

Also note that the rPi2, while using a faster more modern CPU core still has many of the issues the original had, including the terrible Ethernet port and SDIO controller so will likely have similar issues and IMO be a poor fit for the projects most people use them for.
TheStorm wrote:

Also note that the rPi2, while using a faster more modern CPU core still has many of the issues the original had, including the terrible Ethernet port and SDIO controller so will likely have similar issues and IMO be a poor fit for the projects most people use them for.

I had the RPI Model B and I agree with you. It can't really handle the tasks they were selling it for.

But I have some hope for the Pi2. Granted, the SDIO and Ethernet are still the same but faster CPU, more RAM and same price as the original means I'll probably buy one Smile
I would recommend something from Hardkernel instead. The ODROID-u3 or the ODROID-C1 are much better platforms than the rPi2 let alone the original rPi.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php
TheStorm wrote:
I would recommend something from Hardkernel instead. The ODROID-u3 or the ODROID-C1 are much better platforms than the rPi2 let alone the original rPi.

A friend has the u3 so I've toyed with it.
Much better but way too expensive for me now.
sonic2000gr wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

A friend has the u3 so I've toyed with it.
Much better but way too expensive for me now.

The C1 is near rPI pricing but has a much better support GPU with the Mali and ingeneral should work more reliably than the rPi or rPi2, plus In my book requiring a real power supply is a plus as a good chuck of the issues with the rPi were/are power related.
Is there anything like that with a bit more RAM than 1 GB but, is cheaper than 50 dollars? I looked at their 30 dollar one, but it doesn't have enough RAM for my liking.
Nope, ram may be cheap, but it isn't that cheap. Plus you'll want a better CPU to take advantage of that RAM anyway.
Ok, I think I'll buy myself an ODROID, its probably all I need anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours