Through trial and error, I've discovered a few bugs in the OS for the CBL 2 and Vernier LabPro. All of these are tested with a LabPro with OS 6.27 using a TI-83 as the testing calculator.
  • Command 80 does not work on calculators, due to an invalid implementation of the link protocol. Attempting to use the returned list results in an undefined variable error. Local hero KermMartian analyzed this here, in the CBL 2 Link Protocol topic.
  • Command 110 reading page -1 (all pages combined) of sensor memory does not function on calculators. Attempting to use the returned list results in an undefined variable error. I suspect this is related to the above linking code error. When tested on a CBL 2 with OS 1.15 error 5 (number out of range) error is thrown, probably due to mode -1 not being supported on early OSes. When the command is used on a calculator, the output is instead routed to the LabPro's serial port.
  • There's definitely more, I just haven't described them yet. I'm still finding my old documentation, where I wrote things down.

Linking behavior on the new commands can be inconsistent. Some calculator commands cause output to go to the serial port. I'll do some extensive testing soon about which commands end up going where.
On a related note, we can patch the CBL2/LabPro OS. It is not protected in any way that I can see by a signature, and I wrote an application to modify the embedded programs/applications in the OS upgrade file (at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/SetCBLUserImage.zip) (the ones that are sent when you press the Transfer button while connected to a calculator).

The programs/applications are protected by a checksum, which I could only figure out by compiling the TLCS900 IDA processor module from source and studying it. Because it's so insanely difficult to set up the IDA build environment, I uploaded the compiled module (I'm sure you can figure out where to look for it).

I've stopped looking at CBL2/LabPro stuff, but if there's a big interest in patching certain bugs, I'm willing to look into it again.
After I get a detailed list compiled, I'm going to contact Vernier about the bugs. If I don't hear back, getting at least the Command 80/110 bugs patched would make life much easier as a software developer.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours