Hi there everyone,
I've got a number of TI calcs, and am very into retro computing in general. I only just realised that the TI-92 had full bus access at the back! This is awesome!

I was thinking of getting a Plus to replace my 89 just because of the keyboard being much nicer for programming, but am now thinking I'd like a standard 92 with a plus upgrade so that I also have the potential to add hardware via the expansion connector.

The only trouble is, there don't seem to be any around. I've read posts on here saying the modules themselves never show up, and though I suspect that perhaps some TI-92s that get sold really do have an upgrade without the seller knowing, this doesn't really help me find one.

So, my question is two fold:
(a) does anyone know an easy way to tell if a 92 has been upgraded, that I might be able to ask sellers?
(b) does anyone perhaps have a 92 with an upgrade module that they wouldn't mind selling?
Hi munchausen,

You are not alone in this quest, believe me. After several days of research regarding this very subject this is what I am able to share here, hopelfully of some benefit and insight for you, and anyone else to which this issue matters.

First because of the age or "era" of these TI products, (mid 1990's to about 2006) when the TI92+ was discontinued and I assume also no longer supported by TI, in the insueing years to the present day, finding virtually any parts, especially the ROM modules is going to be quite challenging if not impossible via traditional/common online venues. The only resource may be finding entire TI92 series units themselves as offered for sale by those wishing to part with the devices. Then scavanging them for the desired parts. Essientually you need to purchase the entire calculator, with its ROM module installed in the unit, or at least accompanying it.

Now specifically regarding the ROM modules typically found installed in the TI92's expansion port. It sounds as though you are aready fimilar with the purpose and function of these modules in relation the calculator. You may or may not be aware of the following.

The ROM module because of the nature of the software that is typically stored in them, originally by Texas Instruments, is as good inuition would guess, is copyrighted by TI. Do a little mental arithmetic and given the general mental state/attitude of a lot of folks in our culture, here in the USA at least, there is an over abundance of paranoia of the copyright goones suddenly halling a person's sorry A## of in the middle of the night, to never be heard from again by anyone (the result of rendition and a twisted interpretation that copyright issues/potiential violation etc., poses a threat to national security as the enforcer goons have it, for that person's having shared or given one of these modules to their"brother or sister" etc. is why apparently no one is willing to part with these little black plastic cubes ie. ROM modules as a sole piece.

I've heard all kinds "know-it-all" milarky regarding copyright law in terms of twisted, truely uninformed, and just plain wrong interpretations of law that is just incrediable, of which 99% can be found online in forums and BLOGs not unlike this one. Well, you
know: if it's said or found online it must be, or it's got to be true! Right. Anyway, I think you likely know better.

If you own one of these TI calculators you possess implied copyright license to use the software that TI loaded onto these ROM modules. Keep in mind that if the module is used on an inappropriate device that software is essientially rendered non-functional...it does not present a copyright issue that TI is going to be concerned about, especially because to the age and obsolesence of the product and its technology. I am not an attorney but I do have significant experience in patent, trademark and copyright as a researcher/engineer in profession.

Attempts to reverse engineer these modules and their content might present the only copyright concerns that TI could possibly have and might be willing to pursue if TI thought the threat was significant enough. I did not get the impression this was an activity you were in active persuit of; or my advice here wuold be of a significantly different nature.

Hence if you are willing to part with any where from about 50-60 greenbacks all the way up, and this is fact, a whopping 3 bills, yes $300, for what is essientially old, obsolete technolgy you will have access to one of these "hotly" desired TI ROM modules, as well as the rest fo the entire calculator which you may OR MAY NOT have any need for, or have any desire of possessing. (You already own one, right?)

TI got its rightful royalty (ie: software copyright related) when the calculator was originally purchased...by whom ever purchased the calculator. And calculator ownership transition either in whole or in part (by law) does NOT imply a new or second royalty owed to copyright holder. Think about libraries and books as well as other AVmedia. Copyright's purpose is and is strictly about "intullectual" property related to principles in "fair use" as defined by law. Enough said regarding these ROM modules and copyright.

I know there are folks out there who still like and continue to use older technolgy. And, depending on what the issue or technolgy/product is, I am in that class of folks as well. That said, I am quite carefull in the cost to benebfit ratio in maintaining use of older well established still useful technology/products. New and more advanced IS NOT always better. Microsoft is classic textbook example of this in practice as well as principle, and in which they are in consistant repeat performances of validating my last two statements.

Bottom line here is, that the majority of folks who should really know better, will remain paranoid over this issue, and the likelyhood that through any of the "traditional" online venue are you going to find these modules offered, other than via a purchase of the entire calculator unit. Only two other maybe possible avenues to aquiring just the ROM module might be viable. However the fist is one some folks might not be comfortable with; and that is through online hacking sites.

On the rarest of occaasion I have, and somewhat reluctantly, used them to aquire what could not be gotten in a more traditional (maybe acceptable depending on one's perception/persation etc.) way. I do not have any insight regarding this TI ROM issue and what, where any hacking sites might provide in a solution to your quest for these modules. If you are comfortable with, and VERY CAREFUL, in exploring this area (do every thing you can to protect your identity and computer security) then maybe give this a try.

The second option might be by visiting what the ameture radio community calls a "ham fest", essentially a big, usually over a weekend, flea market that features all kinds of technology these folks have aquired and are selling. Its target of course is toward ameture radio related activities. TI technology and products often find their way to and are found at these "hamfest" flea markets quite consistantly. They are quite easy to find info regarding them as ham radio clubs almost always post their info online, just do a google search. You might not have to travel that far to get to one or more of these venues, and you will usually meet a lot of nice and yes, very honest people.

Anyway I know this was long, a lot of info hopefully useful. I am new to this forum/BLOG...don't do it often, but thought I might offer some insight regarding this subject, as I too, am attempting to find just a TI92+ ROM module FOR A REASONABLE $PRICE$.

I wish you luck, and hopefully others might also respond with additional information you can use. Please do share with me if you can.

dm2200
I have been looking for one a few years ago, but since I never saw one around on Ebay, I assume that when it appears there it will be sold for about $100,000 due to its rarity.
Hi DJ_O,

Well I guess there are still a number of folk out there that would like to get their hands on one of these "rare??" modules to either repair a TI92 series calc. or upgrade a 92 to a 92+, I guess.

Other folk out there in web land that actually have these calculators in their possession and appearantly for sale, all of whom I've encountered so far, are certainly more than willing to rip the crap out of your wallet, bank account, whatever, in attenpting to sell you the entire calculator at absolutely outrageous prices that is none less than taking gross advantage of the would be buyer, you, in search of this lowly little part/accessory for your TI calculator. and all the while spewing loads of unadulterated B.S. about impending copyright violations that will have sellers never seeing the light of day ever again. OH....poor them! It's just crap. no matter how you cut it. The market seems to "bear it" by idiots appearantly flush with funds and no real intellectual skill to navigate the market place effectively, so you have what you have in what is avaiable to you and what you might end up paying for it, especially if you are not prudient in your decision making in aquiring what you are looking for. Anyway enough, I rant a bit.

Bottom line is, you can get your hands on these ROM modules, for a rather steep price and will ineventably also end up owning additional hardware that you weren't counting on.

Patients may pay off if you can wait for seller offer of a non-functional device that you can salvage a hopefully good working ROM module from. The pricing if offered fairly would likely be more acceptable without offending your bank account.

I do wish you good luck.
Dear people,

I just read your post on the search for a hard-to-find TI92 plus module. As the post is already more than a year old, i am wondering if someone is still searching for a TI92 with plus module.

I have an Original TI92 (HW version 1) with plus module. I purchased the TI92 in 1996, and upgraded it about one year later with a TI92 plus module. I have been using this unit for over 18 years by now, and still am pleased by this very powerfull calculator. Now some special situation occurred because of which this TI92 with plus module may be available to one of your enthousiasts.

This HW1 TI92 has a special type of back-up battery. It is a CR2032/TI, which is a regular CR2032 with two plated contacts that are connected to the contact points in the calculator by means of screws. The first time this battery went flat was back in 2001. By then i already couldn't find such type of battery in regular stores here in the Netherlands. I contacted TI, and they sent me a backup battery. Now in 2014, the backup battery is getting weak again. I contacted TI again, and this time also they couldn't provide such battery. As very good service of TI, they sent me a Voyage 200 as replacement for my TI92, which i really appreciate.

Now i still have my TI92 next to my Voyage 200. I am working in the Dutch Organisation of applied Physics (TNO), and have several math-enthousiastic people surrounding me that could make good use of my old TI92. However, then i will still need a full backup battery. I was thinking of trying to construct such battery from a regular CR2032 and the contact plates to be dismanteled from the old battery. Browsing the internet on TI92 topics i came across the post on CEMETECH on you people searching for this specific type of TI92 (Original TI92 with plus module).

Now if someone is still enthousiastic on a TI92 with plus module, maybe we can make a deal. I know that the later versions of the TI92 have regular slots for the backup battery, not requiring the special battery type with the screwed contacts but just regular CR2032 (or flatter) battery types. My Voyage200 also has a slot for a regular CR2016 type of backup battery. If anyone of you is willing to exchange my TI92 with plus module for a newer type of TI92 plus (HW2 calc with normal backup battery slot) or maybe a Voyage 200 by which i can please one of the math enthousiasts surrounding me, maybe we can make a deal. Other/better suggestions are also welcome.

Feel free to contact me by e-mail: mauricelimpens2@gmail.com

Kind regards,
Maurice.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours