Hi,

I am an engineering student in college, and have been using a TI-83 plus for several years. Recently it stopped working so a new calculator is needed.

The calculators I am look at are:
Ti-89 Titanium
HP Prime
Casio Prizm

With the downloadable programs being considered (that is, CAS for Casio and 3D graph for HP), how do these three calculators compare in term of:
1) CAS capability
2) On-calc programming capability
3) Graphing capability
Calculation speed is not my primary concern, as long as they are faster than my 83+.

Thank you all in advance!

Edit: Forget to ask, does the TI-Nspire CX CAS really that bad in programming, compared to TI-89T?
It sounds like you're looking for an HP Prime to me. Have you taken a look at my review of the HP Prime? Since then, the OS has been made somewhat less buggy, and the community has done a fair bit of exploration into the extremely fast interpreted HPPL language on the devices. The Casio Prizm, while a fun calculator for programming, has only our third-party CAS, Eigenmath, and the TI-89 Titanium is showing its age compared with the HP Prime at this point (besides being unofficially discontinued by TI).
KermMartian wrote:
It sounds like you're looking for an HP Prime to me. Have you taken a look at my review of the HP Prime? Since then, the OS has been made somewhat less buggy, and the community has done a fair bit of exploration into the extremely fast interpreted HPPL language on the devices. The Casio Prizm, while a fun calculator for programming, has only our third-party CAS, Eigenmath, and the TI-89 Titanium is showing its age compared with the HP Prime at this point (besides being unofficially discontinued by TI).

Hi,

Thanks for the comprehensive review on the HP Prime, it is indeed a very powerful calculator. But do you have any direct comparision of the three calculators? The TI-89T is old and slow, however if it is more capable in CAS and programming, I would happily take that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours