How would a poll help? The players need to be logged in to vote just like they need to be logged in to post to the forum. The poll would just be as lopsided as the discussion as well as invite non-players to vote (anonymously).
I earn 5000d per hour with a loot 3 sword and active killing, that is know where close to 10000d per hour afk. Loot 3 give a user a 5.5% bonus for each kill. That’s a dramatic increase over AFK killing. I’ll try and get the data together later this week. The Favela farm recently acquired its pig farm data and its far more accurate than mine. Their farm is also the most efficient on the server now since its upgrade a few weeks ago. They also earn less than 10000d per hour with active loot 3 killing. He killed 978 pigmen, each drops on 0-1 gold nuggets per kill, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Zombie_Pigman#Drops. That’s a 50% chance per pigmen. THUS, Afk at 978 pigmen per hour you would earn 2720d per hour. That is almost 300d less than 60 ingots or 3000d per hour of an active mining user. 10000d per hour AFK would require an IMPOSSIBLY sized gold farm. My farm at AFK rates are less than 1000d per hour. With my loot 3 I earn only 2000d more per hour then an active miner with a diamond pick. I bet if I used an EffV unbreaking 3 pick and a haste 2 beacon I could beat the rates of my own farm. Thus, is AFK a gold farm truly OP, I don't thinks so. Gold farms do not just print money, they require active time and management to get the rates that we currently get.
I second a poll with adequate descriptions.

Also, Timothy has a valid point that while maybe farming gold very easily is too easy, but maybe not worrying about money is a good thing! To reach the point of stability with a nice farm, and then not need to go out and mine gold, then you can do other stuff instead! It's a matter of personal opinion whether or not actually tediously mining your gold is an integral part of Minecraft life.
Alright, so diamond and emerald were just removed from the spawn shop. I don't feel this made anything better, but only worse. A good portion of this server's debates is simply that between the haves and the have-nots, and elimination of diamond from spawn shop unfairly benefits those who have stockpiled diamonds. Since they no longer have a set value, those who are new enough to have not mined diamond are either forced to mine it or buy it from someone for a potentially exorbitant price, regardless of the source of the diamonds. I'm aware that many users have stockpiled large amounts of diamond from the spawn shop; they are now practically exempt from mining whereas those who have not must resort to mining. Diamond thus retains no value past its 200 denarii spawn price. Therefore, elimination from the shop serves no beneficial purpose.
And because I'm sick of being bullied, I'm restoring the status quo.
Kerm you are not being bullied but I wont say anything more, this isn't the right forum for that.
I hardly feel it's being bullied when most of the people playing are against it.

We had a really good server vibe going on when I first joined. Relatively recently (maybe the past few months), it's been treading more towards people taking issues with how other people play the game, and using the server's mechanics as a way to get even.

Most of the people who have an issue with the current currency system don't seem to have to worry about it going down or changing - they have everything they need already. For example - established and reasonably secure towns (with a nice bank to boot), personal wealth, lots of materials, and the like.

I'm lucky enough to have an established town and a moderate store of various resources. At the same time, I'm not exactly the wealthiest player on the server. I do engage in pvp, and with certain players (mind you, they're highly secure at this point) refusing to accept anything but material goods (or an off-the-cuff insane denari price) for repayment for any materials lost, we're stuck grinding for experience and materials to make replacements, unless we have the demanded materials on hand. I've got the stores to replace a few sets of armor/weapons, but then I'm depleted. And without any sort of reasonable gear, would I stand a chance at even obtaining the stuff to make gear? Most likely not.
turquoisedragon wrote:
We had a really good server vibe going on when I first joined. Relatively recently (maybe the past few months), it's been treading more towards people taking issues with how other people play the game, and using the server's mechanics as a way to get even.

Most of the people who have an issue with the current currency system don't seem to have to worry about it going down or changing - they have everything they need already. For example - established and reasonably secure towns (with a nice bank to boot), personal wealth, lots of materials, and the like.

That's my feeling as well. This place was amazing when I first started. Now it feels like everyone's fighting over a problem that doesn't even exist. I've felt like quitting so many times because I just can't stand this fighting. Don't tell me it's PVP because it isn't. This is fighting over server politics, not killing each other with weapons. If this was a real problem, why wait until now to bring it up?
turquoisedragon wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have an established town and a moderate store of various resources. At the same time, I'm not exactly the wealthiest player on the server. I do engage in pvp, and with certain players (mind you, they're highly secure at this point) refusing to accept anything but material goods (or an off-the-cuff insane denari price) for repayment for any materials lost, we're stuck grinding for experience and materials to make replacements, unless we have the demanded materials on hand. I've got the stores to replace a few sets of armor/weapons, but then I'm depleted. And without any sort of reasonable gear, would I stand a chance at even obtaining the stuff to make gear? Most likely not.

If I'm to be completely honest, and I therefore concede that this post my ruffle some feathers, but please accept and understand that I am entitled to my feelings and opinions.

I and many others feel like ever since the defection of some towns from A-E to Terra/Edenia, every move on this server, rule-wise or game-wise, has been made to put A-E more ahead and its adversaries at a disadvantage. The refusal of denarii as form of payment, the constant AFK camping and subsequent killing, the refusal to even consider reselling captured loot swords. While all technically are rule-legal, they go against the spirit of fair play that once existed on this server.

-----------

Iron was once sold in spawn shop. Once Arcadia's farm was sufficient, it was removed, putting all other towns at a disadvantage. Compound this with my next point, that Kerm/Charles no longer accept denarii as payment, the only solution is to pay in valuables which are already limited outside of A-E.

------------

Gold farms were once used as a form of making money. Therefore players could farm, and then build, or buy materials. I for one would rather work on the aesthetics and defense of my town than sit and mine. That should be my choice. Granted, a fair few players have been abusing the gold farm system, but that's hardly grounds for an attack on that. Might I add that charlessprinkle started that debate... someone who claims to not use gold farms. Well congratulations. But I do. And I don't sit there for hours. I farm a bit to keep my town alive, then go back to building or exploring.

To expand on this, some events on the server have ruffled me. First, when Kerm appeared inside Favela's vault while I was AFK and killed me for my loot sword and several books and stacks of nuggets, and refused to sell back my loot sword, citing "That farm is way too OP". Shortly thereafter, after a PVP match, during which exchange of some items was conducted, my armor was excluded from the exchange, citing: "he used Favela's OP farm".

It is common knowledge that I expend denarii rapidly on plot buys and materials for building, which is, if memory serves, one of the key points of game play on this server--making a nice town. Its not like I stockpile the money. I use it on the game. So what does it matter where it comes from?

Furthermore, I really would like to know, besides having the means to carry it out militarily, what gives A-E the right to play "police force" of the server? If you don't want to sell stuff back in the spirit of PVP, fine. But don't say "he uses an OP farm". That's like saying you won't sell me a house bc i have a better job than you. To be honest, I consider that borderline abuse of rules to press an advantage.

----------

Diamonds: diamonds are very valuable for weapons/armor. I have spent a great deal of time becoming a decent PVP'er, and in that time, I've lost much equipment. Requiring me to constantly mine for more diamonds. I very rarely buy from spawn and when i do, its to supplement what i have already to complete a chest piece or something. But when A-E has so much diamonds, part from mining, part from raids on other players, and some players not in A-E need to buy or mine (of which, buying may be safer than going into danger to mine them), the removal of them from spawn is very unfair and seems to be another of a several changes that puts all but the richest, most well equipped at a disadvantage.
Guys, we do not need to be throwing names around and forming accusations. Let's discuss this change or this thread will get locked again and I won't discuss any plans of change with any of you. You either shape up or lose all input in this discussion.

Let's be clear here. The next moment someone posts about "This person does this" "Such and such only demands payment as...", this thread is locked.

No ifs, ands, or buts. New topics on this matter will be locked. Seriously. No ifs, ands, or buts. Let's get back to how we can improve the economy. Maybe it's fine as it is, maybe not. That's what we're discussing. Nothing else.

P.S. Kerm has expressed to me that KermMartian (the MC user) will not be maintaining the server, outside of configuration tasks, extending railroads, and configuring sign shops. So if you have questions about anything on the server bring them to comic, me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours