Is there a way to change the TI-84 ID code? If so, could someone direct me to where and how to do it?
pat_masac wrote:
Is there a way to change the TI-84 ID code? If so, could someone direct me to where and how to do it?
No, the ID is hard-coded into the calculator's certificate. Why would you want to change it, out of curiosity?
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same code. I mean the one that you hit second then "Information" (I believe) and it gives you a number. I recently acquired a Craig's List sale of calcs that I was planning to sell on Ebay. I'm not sure where the guy I bought them from got them and don't want any nefarious IDs linked to me (if, in fact they are nefarious- I don't have a clue).
pat_masac wrote:
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same code. I mean the one that you hit second then "Information" (I believe) and it gives you a number. I recently acquired a Craig's List sale of calcs that I was planning to sell on Ebay. I'm not sure where the guy I bought them from got them and don't want any nefarious IDs linked to me (if, in fact they are nefarious- I don't have a clue).
Yes, those are the ID numbers I was talking about as well, and they cannot be changed. I hope you verified that you weren't receiving stolen goods, if that's your concern, especially if the calculators have the special yellow School Property cases. I wouldn't be surprised if receiving stolen goods was a felony in many jurisdictions, even if you ended up with stolen goods by turning a blind eye to the source. Obviously IANAL, and I trust that you vetted your source in some way.

If they are indeed legitimately-obtained calculators, I'm curious what you're offering, as many of us collect and/or repair graphing calculators.
Kerm, I not THAT stupid! I know what school calculators look like and would NEVER buy one that was yellow and said "school property" on it!! How about a little credit!

I'm not sure about price. I'd probably put them on Ebay and let the market set the price. As far a receiving stolen property, I don't think the value of my calcs constitutes a felony in the state I live in! But, if they were stolen, I'd do whatever I could to get them back to their rightful owners and just cut my losses. I'm an Ebay dealer, not a mafia kingpin!

It their was no way to find out I'd just as soon wipe out the numbers but you've answered my question. I was just interested in wiping them out before I sold them in case. But, If they belong to someone I am an honest man an would return them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours