I am making a program in which I need a timer. I need this timer to run in the background will everything else runs in the foreground. Can someone give me some code to try to see if it works. If it does, I will add you as a co-author when I upload the program. The program is based on The Mad Minute in Math class.
Use the built in timer in OS 2.45, I think its in that OS...
Its not exactly a timer.. But its a clock. So you can make a program that when ran once, will store a time.. and then ran a second time will store the second time and subtract. I think you could do that in ti-Basic even.
THat is what I am trying to do. I am making the program for TI-83+, so the startTmr isn't in the database.
Alrighty then, you could use a value which you add to every time but it would be inaccurate. I guess zeldakings method would be the best
I can't it is a ti-83+ program
So, zelda, who would I be able to do that?
Edit: I was wrong
Hmm I've seen that in zeldakings minesweeper program, the timer simply displays one value larger than the previous one when it is run
Is that what zelda is getting at?
I think, every time it is one second, the original program runs another program that adds one to the current value and displays it
And how would the codefor that look? Also, since my program is based on The Mad Minute, would doing something like this impede from the need to complete as many as you can as fast as you can?
Given you don't have the precise time bases available on the 84+ hardware (crystal timers, RTC), there's not an easy way to do it. The clocks on the 83+ are all derived from a (pretty variable) RC oscillator, so anything you do will need calibration.

The only remotely reliable way to measure time on the 83+ is via timer interrupts, which are (sadly) not very accurate, and I don't know what effect a running TI-BASIC program might have on interrupt processing.

In any case, I'd go about implementing this with a helper TSR assembly program (probably with another helper to remove the TSR) that counts timer interrupts and stores a specific value to some BASIC-accessible variable which can be polled regularly when the limit is reached. Given the previously-mentioned inaccuracy of the RC oscillator you'd want to have a way for the user to calibrate to their timers ("wait for a minute then press any key" or something fairly easy).
I am fairly new at programming calculators. This is the first program I have made all of the code for thus far. Here is the code that I have.
Code:
ClrHome
1->dim(L1)
0->L1(1)
Disp "Try To Finish In","Under One Minute"
Pause
Menu("   Which One?   ","Addition",A,"Subtraction",S,"Multiplication",M,"Division",D,"Random",F)
Lbl A
ClrHome
Input "How Many Digits?",B
B-1->B
If B>=5
Then
Disp "No More Then","Five Digits."
Pause
Goto A
End
Goto A2
Lbl A2
If L1(1)=20
Goto 1
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->C
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->D
ClrHome
Output(8,1,"Points: "):Output(8,9,L1(1))
Output(1,1,C):Output(1,2+B,"+"):Output(1,3+B,D)
For(E,1,2B+3)
Output(2,E,"-")
End
Disp "",""
Input "",E
If E=(C+D)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
Goto A2
Lbl S
ClrHome
B-1->B
If B>=5
Then
Pause
Goto S
End
Goto S2
Lbl S2
If L1(1)=20
Goto 1
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->C
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->D
ClrHome
Output(1,1,C):Output(1,2+B,"-"):Output(1,3+B,D)
For(E,1,2B+3)
Output(2,E,"-")
End
Disp "",""
Input "",E
If E=(C-D)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
Goto S2
Lbl M
ClrHome
B-1->B
If B>=5
Then
Pause
Goto M
End
Goto M2
Lbl M2
If L1(1)=20
Goto 1
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->C
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->D
ClrHome
Output(1,1,C):Output(1,2+B,"*"):Output(1,3+B,D)
For(E,1,2B+3)
Output(2,E,"-")
End
Disp "",""
Input "",E
If E=(CD)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
Goto M2
Lbl D
ClrHome
Disp "Answer To Three","Digits Please"
Pause
Goto D3
Lbl D3
ClrHome
B-1->B
If B>=5
Then
Pause
Goto D3
End
Goto D2
Lbl D2
If L1(1)=20
Goto 1
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->C
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->D
ClrHome
Output(1,1,C):Output(1,3+B,D):Output(1,2+B,"/")
For(E,1,2B+3)
Output(2,E,"-")
End
Disp "",""
Input "",E
If round(E,3)=round((C/D),3)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
Goto D2
Lbl F
ClrHome
Disp "Answer To Three","Digits For","Division Please"
Pause
Goto F3
Lbl F3
ClrHome
B-1->B
If B>=5
Then
Pause
Goto F3
End
Goto F2
Lbl F2
If L1(1)=20
Goto 1
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->C
randInt(10^B,9*10^B)->D
randInt(1,4)->F
ClrHome
Output(1,1,C):Output(1,3+B,D)
If F=1:Output(1,2+B,"+")
If F=2:Output(1,2+B,"-")
If F=3:Output(1,2+B,"*")
If F=4:Output(1,2+B,"/")
For(E,1,2B+3)
Output(2,E,"-")
End
Disp "",""
Input "",E
If F=1
Then
If E=(C+D)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
End
If F=2
Then
If E=(C-D)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
End
If F=3
Then
If E=(CD)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
End
If F=4
Then
If round(E,3)=round(C/D,3)
L1(1)+1->L1(1)
End
Goto F2
Lbl 1
ClrHome
Disp "Congratulations!","You Got A Total","Of 20 Points!","Did You Meet","Your Goal?"
Pause
ClrHome
Output(1,1,"")

Right now, I have it where you play to a certain point value, then it stops. Do you have any suggestions. If not, then I will make one more edit then upload the program.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours