Hey guys, I've come up with a new activity for the server. Each month I'll release a new riddle to the location of a new chest with some goodies in it. I'm not the best at riddles but I'll try to be as descriptive and possible while still keeping things metaphorical and vague. I might include a piece of paper in chest that gives clues to a hidden chest. This chest would be trapped, dangerous to access and near impossible to find but the reward would be worth it. Is this bigger chest something that sounds fun?

Unless hinted or stated otherwise all the riddles start at spawn.

Riddles will also be included on the server page. Without further ado:

August, 2014
    Ride South.
    Count down: three, two...
    Come out on top,
    Continue on your journey.
    You have won.
sounds good. You aren't planning on hiding them in anyone's bases, would you?
16aroth6 wrote:
sounds good. You aren't planning on hiding them in anyone's bases, would you?
That would give the people in the town an unfair advantage, and if someone else does come across it first, they likely wouldn't have the perms to access it.
FrozenFire49 wrote:
That would give the people in the town an unfair advantage, and if someone else does come across it first, they likely wouldn't have the perms to access it.

That's true.

what kind of items were you planning on hiding?
No bases. I'm trying to keep them all above ground but I may venture into the caves at some point.

I plan on hiding various things. I played around with custom weapon names but it turns out you can rename things at will though I'm looking into unobtainable weapon & armor buffs. You'll be able to find fireworks, armor, weapons, gold, diamonds, emeralds, food, potions, etc.

What kind of stuff would you guys like to see in these chests? I heard a suggestion for mob spawn eggs, any votes for those?
What do you mean by unobtainable weapon and armor buffs? Would it be like a Chestplate with protection V or a stick with Sharpness X?
ComicIDIOT wrote:
I might include a piece of paper in chest that gives clues to a hidden chest. This chest would be trapped, dangerous to access and near impossible to find but the reward would be worth it.

So there are [possibly] 2 chests-- 1 with a further clue or the same clue as the one you stated? And then the other chest is what we ultimately seek?

Also, if you hid the chest, as much as it would be near impossible to find, would it involve any sort of random digging at all, such as removing a layer of terrain to see if you hid it under the dirt or something randomly? Or would it be in-sight, but just really hard to have it in your sight-- you'd perhaps have to do some gnarly maneuvers along the terrain to be able to have a chance of spotting it?
Wolf egg! and yeah Fortune cookies and stuff works Smile
Well, I found the chest, but the area it is in doesn't allow me to open it.

Will you please fix this? I want to know what's inside.
Charles, there's three chests in the wild right now; two normal chests (one has been found) and a harder chest. Because this one was found so fast I'll write a riddle for the second and maybe make this a weekly thing with lesser prizes. And have a monthly chest with bigger prizes. Or place clues in the weekly chests to a grander chest; and if you want to find it you'll have to work with other people such as if you enemy has a clue you'll have to somehow work together.

First I've heard of the fortune cookies. I'll look into them.

The chests will not be buried or hidden unless stated otherwise.

FrozenFire49 wrote:
Would it be like a Chestplate with protection V or a stick with Sharpness X?

Precisely. I hear there are some enchants that can't be crafted and I plan to figure out what those are. I doubt it goes up to X and if it did I'd probably cap it around one or two levels higher than cap.

pimathbrainiac wrote:
Well, I found the chest, but the area it is in doesn't allow me to open it.

Will you please fix this? I want to know what's inside.

Oh, you can't open chests in that area? Yeha, I'll address that then.
September 2014:
Explore the caves, descend the canyon.

ComicIDIOT wrote:

September 2014:

I have found the chest! (: However, to those looking for it, I restocked it with a reasonable amount of loot that I felt would be worth the time it should take to find it if you follow the clue and search thoroughly.
It only took me 20 minutes to find it upon arriving at the location, and I would like to further tip:
ADDITIONAL TIP, by CharlesSprinkle wrote:

When you have arrived at the location, and "explore the caves, descend the canyon", and finally reached the destination where you believe strongly the chest is hidden nearby, be thorough and do not be afraid to explore nearby areas around your destination. However, I don't think going too far away will be necessary.

This additional hint is not meant to be technical, sly or riddley in any way, and really means what it means.

@Comic
I enjoyed this one, thank you for hiding the chest! Unless I really just overachieved and got lucky to find it quickly, I think the amount of loot in the chest is valued a lot higher than the time it took to find it when I arrived at the proper location to begin following your hint. For the net value of the loot in that chest, I feel a riddle that will make you think more critically would fit, or vice versa the net value of the chest should be less. I think a good balance of easier to find and ones that make you think for a while before running off to a few locations are good (:
In addition, if you ever do have the time, I'd love to see traps and even custom made dungeons/structures to add to it!
I really kinda thought it'd be harder to find; I moved it like 3 times after stocking it. I also don't really know what's valuable and what isn't. I'll explore the idea of putting in items you can't find in the world or buy from spawn.
ComicIDIOT wrote:

I also don't really know what's valuable and what isn't. I'll explore the idea of putting in items you can't find in the world or buy from spawn.

At least to me, I generally value my items based off of how long it takes to acquire the equivalent average amount of gold from a good caving trip, usually about 60 gold ores/hour = 1 ingot/minute = 50d/minute is what I'd get on a fast-paced exploration of a good cave-- it's the idea of opportunity cost. What *could* I be getting in the equivalent amount of time it takes to do something else? That could be greatly skewed by a gold farm, but those can be overpowered so I try to use a fixed system to retain the value of items. I would say for the entire journey's total from spawn of around 30 minutes to find the chest, I'd personally find value in even just a few gold blocks (: I was practically drooling over the ghast tears and enchanted books on top of that.

I very much like the idea of unobtainable items or very rare items being in the chests if they might take a bit of time to find; it gives a good reason to seek the chest as opposed to getting obtainables yourself another way, perhaps like gold from a gold farm. The skeleton skull from this chest was pretty cool because it'd be a nice decorative piece to me and is essentially priceless because of the unobtainability.
Want to get your voxel-hands on some new blocks?
I do, and I'm glad you put up another geostashing activity-- thanks for this! Is the screenshot taken in such a spot that I should search very closeby whereever it is? Let's say that if I'm able to locate it-- then with so much extreme, amplified terrain around, it's hard to know where to begin or how to bound the search. Time to scale the cliffsides? Go down deep into the caves? Or if it's amongst the trees, I'm not sure if I would want to be cutting down everything I see
This is from the chests point of view. I thought I took a screenshot but the chest has, I think, 16 granite and it definitely has an armor stand. Chests with the other new blocks will be scattered around, each with an armor stand.
I found the chest! (I didn't end up taking the loot though) It took like 3 hours mainly because this was a random location that no one knew where it was (as opposed to the snowball arena from the last hunt), on top of the fact that I didn't initially know where to begin to find the chest. When you said the screenshot was taken from the location of the chest, that helped a lot since I already found the location but just didn't have any clue of what to do. I opened it up, but there was only the 16 granite blocks and the armor stand you said ): I feel like I could have just walked outside my town to the newly generated terrain, grabbed the granite, and crafted the armor stand with a few sticks all in under 5 minutes without even going on the expedition haha...

I really liked how much more time it took to find it because of the completely unknown location perhaps no one might have set foot on before, and at the same time would love to open the chest up knowing that hours of scavengering are about to pay off. I think on the last one, I might have gotten a little lucky finding it super fast, but the reward was a tad too much, but this one was a more difficult one with very little. The unobtainable items in and of themselves are a priceless reward, and was a huge encouragement to the treasure hunt.
On another note, I enjoy your riddles! They challenge me to think of how your vagueness is hinting me at something.

August 2014 Hidden Chest wrote:

Ride South.
Count down: three, two...
Come out on top,
Continue on your journey.
You have won.

This one made me think a little bit before going, and at one point I had run on top of the rails in the direction of the chest, but stopped probably about 50 blocks before seeing it, and turned around unfortunately haha. Abrum and I ended up spending an hour looking for the chest in other places near the rail where we thought it was around.

August 2014 Hidden Chest #2 wrote:

Go to the land surrounded by the shades of the setting sun and the midday sky. Up in a tree will you find your treasure.

This one, Abrum and I spent maybe a good couple to 3 hours looking, but in the wrong places because we thought the riddle meant one thing, but it was a little bit different. We ended up going to the mesa biome because that is the land of the sunset's colors, and searching all of the trees. This is probably my favorite riddle you've done, and I love ones like this! We didn't get the reward, but it was a good attempt
Very clever how the interpretation was to be taken as a land with the mesa surrounding it, but not necessarily in the mesa, along with the fact that the shades of the daytime sky was additionally painting a picture of a river that I didn't pick up on.

September 2014 Hidden Chest wrote:

Again, while this took me probably shorter than it should have on average between half an hour to an hour for the entire journey, the riddle was unique with descending the canyon. The screenshot was of a very well-known landmark though, which made it much, much easier to just go straight to, and then follow the riddle as opposed to having to hunt down the location that I've never seen before and have to deduct clues from the screenshot to go find the location. i.e. it's snowy and has trees-- which is still pretty vague, which is a good thing! Having to hunt down the riddle/screenie location seems to be a good factor that takes time to do.

All in all, the riddles and adventures are great! Ones of about this difficulty with just a screenshot, or ones like the "land surrounded by the shades of the setting sun" with just the riddle that tell just barely enough info to make you take a while to think and/or search, are really awesome. I'd love to see rare items or unobtainables in the future similar to the last one!

Perhaps an additional complication could be that even if you find the location via vague a screenshot or riddle, is that the chest is relatively nearby, but another riddle/hint makes it such that you have to look around and think about what to do based on it. Or even leave some small hints around the area so that when the person arrives, they'll pick up on a couple suspicious things, and follow them to where they think the hint is trying to lead them. With this hunt, I found a spiral staircase nearby that lead up to one of the hill plateaus and thought to myself-- "hmmm, comic might be leading me somewhere with this staircase". It ended up shifting my search radius over to a different location, but of course it was misleading possibly because someone else dug it long ago... maybe months. With this additional factor, it would be possible to put the chest even 200 blocks away from a screenshot location, but a subtle hint in the terrain every 50-100 blocks that raises an eyebrow and encourages the adventurer to keep going in that direction and shift their search region over everytime they find a new hint.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours