This is something that I whipped up during winter break one year and Kerm told me to make a topic about it. This is what it looks like from the back:
And the inside:

This is a speaker I found in a junk drawer that I compacted to fit on the back of my calculator case. The first design I had over winter break was two piezo buzzers on the back with a 2.5mm jack. It wasn't bery loud, so I made this one. My motivation for doing so was because I got the sg8bit app and wanted to hear the music. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement then feel free to reply. I am currently trying to find a TI PCSE calculator case 3D model so I can 3D print it (once I have a 3D printer) so it doesn't have to be made out of cardboard and duct tape. Razz This is probably going to be a long-term project. (If Kerm had a long-term project it would be called a long-Kerm Project!! Laughing sorry, that was really stupid.)
Haha, I like puns, good or bad. Thanks for posting this up! It looks like there's a little circuit board with an amplifier attached to the speaker; is that correct? I think a 3D-printed enclosure is a great idea, as well. If you had extra calculators that you weren't terribly worried about, I would recommend trying to make it an internal modification, tapping the batteries for power and dremelling an aperture for the speaker into the back of the case, but I don't recommend that with your main calculator.
Very nice idea. Very Happy i like kerms idea, but i agree completely NEVER use your only (or primary) calculator for internal mods, until you get Kerm good at them. this is still really neat. Very Happy
KermMartian Said:
Quote:
Haha, I like puns, good or bad. Thanks for posting this up! It looks like there's a little circuit board with an amplifier attached to the speaker; is that correct? I think a 3D-printed enclosure is a great idea, as well. If you had extra calculators that you weren't terribly worried about, I would recommend trying to make it an internal modification, tapping the batteries for power and dremelling an aperture for the speaker into the back of the case, but I don't recommend that with your main calculator.
Yeah, An amplifier is what that is and I don't have another calculator. I thought of using the calc's internal battery but there are four wires coming out and I don't know which one is which. Also there is only 3.7 Volts coming out and I need 6 Volts. I do have a dremel but a 3D print could include a hole for the speaker. Thanks for the tips though! I may use some. Smile And just a fun fact about my calculator (not to say I shouldn't be carefull) I left my calculator outside one day, It rained for 24 hours and then snowed for six hours. I wondered where it was, Then I found a block of ice with a calculator inside. I was on the verge of tears. I set it on a towel inside and let it melt out, then placed it in a bag full of silica gel for a week and a half. Then I took my calculator apart to make sure it was all dry. I put it back together and pushed the power button.................AND IT WORKED!! The screen was a little strange-looking but that cleared up in about two weeks. My calculator had survived 30 hours of precipitation and being in an ice block. YAY!! Laughing
I recently found out that one of my school teachers actually has a 3D printer! Who'dve thought of that? The problem is is that he only has orange filament and I need blue. It would be great if someone could steer me towards a 3D model of the TI 84 PCSE Case cover. Does anyone know where I could find one? Very Happy
Unfortunately, to my knowledge none exists. You should consider making one, though, and then sharing the model with the community. I just hope a 3D printer has the precision and can make a piece with sufficient strength to be a good case.
If I had the tools I would make a model, but I do not. :-/ I only have the skillset.
I love this. Just wondering, but why did you decide to choose the back side of the calculator for mounting, as opposed to the top (similar to the Orion (is that right? that attachment for the blind?)? though, from the looks of it, the speaker would be rather large for that.

For the batteries, I believe that simply going from one side of the left to the opposite of the right should give you the power, but I cannot remember which side to connect the wires to. I'd have to open up my calc again to see that.

and, Funny Pun. that made me laugh.
I chose the back side because I saw it and though it would be a nice surface to tape onto and build because it's very flat and has a nice amount of surface area. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Unfortunately, to my knowledge none exists. You should consider making one, though, and then sharing the model with the community. I just hope a 3D printer has the precision and can make a piece with sufficient strength to be a good case.

The only CAD software I have and are really good with is Google Sketchup and I know 3D printers don't use that. I am learning SolidWorks and will probably get it soon-ish, but I'm not very good with it. If anyone has a 3D printer, what sort of file formats does it use? What are the files' file extensions? That would be awesome to know, and is there a way to use Google Sketchup, like, an online converter or something? Confused
You can use Sketchup for 3D printing, I use it all the time. All you need is a STL export plugin like this one.
pcb_master wrote:
You can use Sketchup for 3D printing, I use it all the time. All you need is a STL export plugin like this one.

THANKS!! SO MUCH!!! I would love to use GSKP for 3D printing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours