Okay, I have the same set of problems in both my simulate iOS 7.1 iPad and on my Mac with both Firefox and Safari - after I load a ROM, regardless of what I clicked on the keypad, how many times I press pause/unpause, and how many times I try to force a RAM reset, I get no errors and no sign that the emulator is actually running, except perhaps the occasionally blink of the blank screen. However, pushing the "refresh variable list" button causes it to start running/interacting, albeit with a RAM clear..
elfprince13 wrote:
Okay, I have the same set of problems in both my simulate iOS 7.1 iPad and on my Mac with both Firefox and Safari - after I load a ROM, regardless of what I clicked on the keypad, how many times I press pause/unpause, and how many times I try to force a RAM reset, I get no errors and no sign that the emulator is actually running, except perhaps the occasionally blink of the blank screen.
I just opened up Firefox in Incognito Mode (so it couldn't access my DOM storage) on Windows 7, accepted the TOS, and loaded a TI-84 Plus ROM. Clicking the emulator's LCD once caused it to power on with the standard RAM Cleared message and flashing cursor.
Quote:
However, pushing the "refresh variable list" button causes it to start running/interacting, albeit with a RAM clear..
This is quite fascinating. In Firefox or Safari, please execute the following code from the JS console and tell me what happens:
Code:
onKeyDown(); setTimeout(onKeyUp,500);
If that does nothing, please try the following code:
Code:
go(1);
Note: this only seems to happen after an initial ROM upload. Once it boots successfully the first time, I can go back to the page and it keeps running. However I am then unable to turn the calculator *off*, so it appears that the problem is with the on key detection.

Running your first suggested code indeed fixes the problem (and allows me to turn the calculator off once I've already trigged 2nd in browser).

(these tests just took place in Firefox, but the symptoms were identical in Safari and mobile Safari).
elfprince13 wrote:
However, pushing the "refresh variable list" button causes it to start running/interacting, albeit with a RAM clear..

This fixed my issue on the iPad as well.
Incidentally, I just confirmed nearly the same problem with Firefox in Debian, so it's not just an iOS/OS X problem (though in Debian if I jam the On button repeatedly at a quick enough rate, it will occasionally work) .
I am very confused that the code I gave you worked when tapping the LCD did not, since that code is exactly what the emulator itself does when you click the LCD. Could it be some weird interaction with how click events and/or timeouts are handled?
*bump* Does anyone have any inspirations on why clicking on the screen and triggering the section of code below does not always succeed in turning jsTIfied on, but manually running the same code does the trick? I think it is significant that it works fine on my Firefox + Windows combination but not on elfprince's Firefox + Mac OS combination.

Code:
(and only partially works on my Firefox + Debian configuration).

Also what do you mean "clicking on the LCD"? I'm clicking the On button.
elfprince13 wrote:
(and only partially works on my Firefox + Debian configuration).

Also what do you mean "clicking on the LCD"? I'm clicking the On button.
Oh. What happens if you click on the LCD?
Works on my iOS sim as well as in Firefox. Why is this implemented differently than the On button? That seems like very surprising behavior.
elfprince13 wrote:
Works on my iOS sim as well as in Firefox. Why is this implemented differently than the On button? That seems like very surprising behavior.
The [ON] button works like any old button, because physically it has the same electrical behavior as any other key. Clicking on the LCD performs the specific set of actions that the TI-OS requires to properly power on: press the [ON] key, hold for above ~300ms and below ~1000ms, and release the [ON] key. If you hold it for more or less time, the OS will refuse to turn on.
This needs to be documented in really large letters somewhere. This is the first TI emulator I've ever used where I had extreme difficulty turning it on with the [On] button.
elfprince13 wrote:
This needs to be documented in really large letters somewhere. This is the first TI emulator I've ever used where I had extreme difficulty turning it on with the [On] button.
I would be happy to make the [ON] key work like tapping the LCD as long as no one objects to [ON] keypresses lasting 0.5 seconds.
I mean, aiming for electrically accurate emulation is fine too (though it's still weird that I can't get the timing right *at all* for turning it either on or off), but put a big sign that says "Press LCD to turn on" somewhere that doesn't involve switching tabs in the emulator UI and scrolling halfway down the page.
I have just changed how the [ON] key works for everyone. Please re-test on every OS, browser, and platform you have readily available and let me know how the [ON] key works for you, both for turning the calculator on and off.
Works with OS X Mavericks Opera + Firefox, and iOS 7 Safari.
elfprince13 wrote:
Works with OS X Mavericks Opera + Firefox, and iOS 7 Safari.
Great! I should ask for your help in making a video entitled "Run a TI-84 Plus on your iPhone" or so. Wink
Of course =) I don't have a good camera for recording use of my iPhone (rather, the relevant camera is in the iPhone), but I can easily run the iOS sim in either iPad or iPhone mode and screen capture that.
Elf prince
I have not been able to make it work with iOS 7 on either
the ipad or iPhone using either safari or
Chrome. Did you run it on Mac and did
you use jpg of ti 84 rom?
I have iOS 7 and I cannot load the jpeg. I get an invalid ROM size error.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours