Our friends at Texas Instruments have sent along information on TI's latest contest, "Express your Selfie". Tying the popular culture fad of taking selfies with the fun TI (and Cemetech) think that graphing calculators enable, the contest challenges you to take a creative selfie with your calculator or other TI technology. Entering the contest is straightforward:
  1. Snap a selfie with your favorite TI technology.
  2. Post it on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #TISelfieContest.
  3. Write a caption to fill in the following:
    "I make math/science (pick one) _______ with TI #TISelfieContest"
A panel of judges will pick six finalists, and Mayim Bialik, well-known as TI Education's spokesperson as well as a neuroscientist and actress on "The Big Bang Theory", will select one winner. Of course, prizes are a great motivation: the winner will earn a videoconference with Mayim Bialik, 30 TI-84+CSEs or TI-Nspire CXs with three charging stations, the associated SmartView classroom software, and a TI poster. The five runners-up will get one calculator, tee shirts, and a poster.

Good luck to all of you in coming up with creative ways to promote math and science (and programming, please!) with TI's contest, and if you win, I hope you'll make the videoconference include our enthusiastic graphing calculator users and programmers here. You can learn more about the contest at http://tiselfie.com, and feel free to add the #cemetech hashtag to your #TISelfieContest tweets so that our bots will repeat the tweet here.
HCWP kicked it off last night:

Would Nick Disabato win if he used a selfie from a decade ago? http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/11/118/118942.html
Sent in mine!

" make science happen in the palm of my hand while learning with my friends with TI #TISelfieContest"

I'm not sure if other hashtags were allowed so I left #cemetech out.
(And I didn't read the post in its entirety.)
Is this creative enough?

That seems excellent. Very Happy Is that picture actually on the calculator, or did you GIMP it on? I hope you go ahead and tweet it.
Thanks! It's actually on the calculator. I used mviewer to display it. And I just posted it. Razz

Edit:
Here is my second entry:

"I make math more ME with TI! #TISelfieContest"
This is my last one:

"I make math capTIvating with TI! #TISelfieContest"
I hope the grand prize goes to a teacher or school system, rather than someone on here... I imagine they can do a lot more with 30 calcs than we could as far as education goes.

If someone here does win (which I doubt, because TI would probably pick a teacher or school system), I implore you to donate the calcs to your local school district or favorite teacher or whatever.
merthsoft wrote:
I hope the grand prize goes to a teacher or school system, rather than someone on here... I imagine they can do a lot more with 30 calcs than we could as far as education goes.

If someone here does win (which I doubt, because TI would probably pick a teacher or school system), I implore you to donate the calcs to your local school district or favorite teacher or whatever.

Honestly, I don't care to win the grand prize. I'd be perfectly happy with a runner up prize. Razz I seriously doubt I'll win anything (I never do). If I DID, however, win the grand prize, I'd probably donate it to my high school (because, let's face it, I have nothing to do with 30 calculators).
Yeah I thought about that when I entered it merth. And I decided it would go to some school district that needed it some where. Probably at the discretion of someone other then me.
merthsoft wrote:

I don't know if this was always part of the rules, but the reminder email about the contest that they sent out this morning to their T^3 mailing list included the following text:
TI wrote:
One lucky contestant will win a video chat with Mayim Bialik and a class set of TI-Nspireā„¢ CX or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition technology for the school of their choice.
(Emphasis is mine)
merthsoft wrote:
If someone here does win ... I implore you to donate the calcs to your local school district or favorite teacher or whatever.

That's exactly what I intend to do. Of course, after I take pictures of myself with all of them and post it to "Your Calculator Collection." My mom works in the school system - as do I from time to time (substitute) - and know first hand how such a donation can mean an awesome education.

But it sounds like I won't get a chance to take that picture according to the latest e-mail.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours