How come there's no mention of the ti 84 plus c silver edition in "programming the ti 83/84 plus". I want to know a way how to hide the status bar in my program and make my program compatible for the ti 83/84 plus/c silver edition.
Unfortunately, "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" was published before the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition was released. Fortunately, I am currently working on a new Appendix to the book that will cover the changes you need to know about for the new calculator, which will be included in future printings and also available for free here and on Manning's own website. To address your programming questions: you cannot hide the status bar in programs, although you can use the Doors CSE libraries to overwrite it with white if you so desire. If you do so, that area will still be unusable by TI-BASIC programs, so there's not much of a point. For your second question, we have developed techniques to detect if your program is running on a TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus or a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator, which you can then use to run different code depending on which model is executing the program. For more information, check out Creating Cross-Compatible TI-84+CSE/83+/84+ Programs.
Why didn't you make doors cs cross compatible or any of your programs. I don't see one cross compatible program on ticalc.org.

Is there a way I could get the future printing of the book for free so I could see the new appendix when i'm not on a computer.
Ephraim B wrote:
Why didn't you make doors cs cross compatible
As a shell, Doors CS works closely with the operating system. Therefore, including the functionality of Doors CS and Doors CSE in the same App would yield an app nearly as large as the two combined. In addition, the App format is slightly different between the two calculators, and the signing keys are different, so an App signed for one set of calculators will not go onto the other.
Ephraim B wrote:
or any of your programs. I don't see one cross compatible program on ticalc.org.
A number of my programs are indeed cross-compatible, but for the most part there is very little point in doing so. It's generally easier and just as logical to simply port the monochrome programs over to the color calculator.

Ephraim B wrote:
Is there a way I could get the future printing of the book for free so I could see the new appendix when i'm not on a computer.
Please don't double-post. Also, this character goes at the end of questions: "?". It indicates that the thing you just typed is a question. Finally, no, you cannot get a free copy of the book, but you can certainly print out the appendix and bring it with you or tuck it into your copy of the book.
When is the new appendix going to be available?
Ephraim B wrote:
Ideally by September, but I've been seriously dragging my feet on completing it for some reason.
ASM on the 84+CSE is different than on the 84+SE. A lot is similar, but some memory addresses have changed, as well as all of the screen-related stuff. You can't just take a 84+ program then change the header so it runs on a color model, it will just fail to run or crash. Heck, even 82 programs couldn't run on the 83+ without any modification, so imagine on a calculator with an entirely different screen.

On top of that, since the 84+CSE screen contains more data (320x240 or 160x240 pixels, depending of its mode, and each pixel is 16 times larger in data than its monochrome equivalent, meaning it takes 16 times longer to change color), it takes much longer to fill it with pixels than it did on a regular calculator. So some games that ran fast enough on the 84+ will not be fast enough on the color model, unless they did minimal LCD update every frame.

If anyone wants a TI-83+/84+ program to be CSE compatible, he can write a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition version himself.
Is there any way I could program cross compatible programs even if it includes the textcolor( token? Can I also program cross compatible in z80 assembly?
Ephraim B wrote:
Is there any way I could program cross compatible programs even if it includes the TextColor( token?
Not very easily at all. You'd have to do clever things with Hybrid BASIC to make a temporary program containing the TextColor( command, then execute and delete that temporary program.
Quote:
Can I also program cross compatible in z80 assembly?
The headers differ, so the answer is almost a categorical no. There's really no reason to do so, as DJ_O said.

Also, a note about my Programming the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition appendix, as I mentioned four weeks ago:
KermMartian wrote:
Ephraim B wrote:
Ideally by September, but I've been seriously dragging my feet on completing it for some reason.
I have now finished drafting it, and it's up to my publisher to help me get it to the public as soon as possible.
Is there anything wrong with using an outdated assembler for z80 assembly? The z80 processor was made in 1976 anyway so I don't see anything wrong with it. Is there an official core z80 Assembly tutorial and Assembler that would work on all z80 calculator models since z80 is the same language no matter what software is on there or what hardware is connected?
You could probably make source compatible assembly programs with clever use of macros, but this almost certainly would be a bit of a pain to set up, and wouldn't really have noticeable benefits to your end users.
I have a couple of cross-platform BASIC programs:
You can use those as a basis for how to handle that sort of thing in BASIC.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours