Linux seems to get the short straw when it comes to software support by large companies. Linux users have overcome these obstacles by running Windows/Mac OSes in a virtual machine or using a program like WINE. Both of these options are OK if you're running a lite program, but Virtual machines are laggy and WINE doesn't have all of the necessary libs, WINE is also limited to .exe and .msi applications. This causes problems when a program isn't in a WINE supported format.

Amazon has launched "Amazon Workspaces" which are desktops accessible through the "cloud" using a closed-source client provided by Amazon. Unlike AWS EC2 instances, you connect to your Workspace by entering a cod received via email and login credentials. The Workspaces client for Windows is a ".application" file; one not supported by WINE. If you open the client with a text editor, you'll be greeted with a XML file with lots of what looks like metadata and a few links. If the links lead to .exe file, you could run it in WINE, but I don't know how that would work out.

Amazon doesn't recommend using RDP (that wouldn't stop any of us Cemetechians, would it?), but Amazon goes beyond that, saying that RDP is not allowed! [s]Also, not knowing the public IP makes using RDP kinda hard.[/s] You can find the public IP in the info page. Browsing the Amazon Workspace forum and the answers given by Amazon to pleas for a Linux client gives no hope of seeing one. Here's where you guys come in.

I'd like you guys to make a Workspaces client. One of the fancy thing I like is the "fit to screen" mode, full screen mode and sound. If you wish, please make it open-source. If Amazon were to make their own client open-source, your job would be much easier, but we have Calc-Linux client that are much better than the official TI-Connect, so I've faith in you guys.

Please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes; I wrote this on my Kindle 4NT.
>Amazon sucks! Boo amazon!
>Posted using an Amazon Kindle
I found some information that might help.
According to the documentation from Amazon, you need the following ports open.
    UDP 4172
    TCP 4172
ZDNet wrote:
To secure these desktops, Amazon is using Teradici's proprietary PC over IP (PCoIP) protocol.
Yulable! Anything on Linux should be open-sourced! Vive le Calc-Linux! I'd rather use TiLP than the AWed Computer Link! Anyway, please give us a download link to Calc-Linux. Thank you!
Note: Yu is the sound my friends use to boo and hiss people. Yulable is its adjective. One of my friends invented the word yulable. AW is Amazon Workspace.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours