Back in September, I decided I wanted to try my hand at making a Tetris game, to expand my abilities as a programmer, and because the CSE had such a fancy colorful screen. Starting Sept 11th, and working on it off and on until yesterday, Oct 30th, I finally managed to get a fully working version, completely done in BASIC with no outside library dependencies.

(Please note, jstified doesn't really like doing color right now, Kerm has promised to fix this at some point in the future)

And during the progress of this project, users encouraged me to make this available to work on the black and white screened calculators, so I did!

The above are the TI-83 and TI-83 Plus versions, respectfully.

Kerm graciously decided to take my version for the color calculators a step further by utilizing the hybrid libraries in Doors CSE to make it shine, and you can see the results here:

You can find these files at the following links:

TI-83 Version
TI-83 Plus Version
TI-84+ Color Silver Edition
TI-84+ Color Silver Edition Hybrid Version
Congratulations on these releases, tifreak8x! I know you worked very hard on BTetris, so I'm glad you were able to parlay it into three new games. Smile As you know, I posted a few ideas for possible future versions in your BTetris development thread.
Wow this is super impressive!

The speed is great!
Thanks, gents Smile I'm quite happy with the speed of the 83+ and 84+C, not really much that can be done with the 83, but it still looks nice at any rate Smile
Is the correct plural Tetrises or Tetrices? Wink
That was the question posted yesterday, benryves linked to tetrises :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Thanks, gents Smile I'm quite happy with the speed of the 83+ and 84+C, not really much that can be done with the 83, but it still looks nice at any rate Smile
It still seems eminently playable on the TI-83 at that speed to me. Smile I was pondering why you were able to get such respectable speed with BTetris and I got stuck with Tetric B, and I think the answer is that I was getting stuck thinking within the strict framework of following every possible Tetris movement rule, including my move+rotate-checking code that made sure things like T-Spins were possible. I must tip my hat to you for succeeding in picking a subset of the mechanics that makes the game still very functional without sacrificing speed.

elfprince13 wrote:
According to Wiktionary, which tifreak8x consulted while writing the article, it's Tetrises. Laughing
This is amazing, tifreak!
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
It still seems eminently playable on the TI-83 at that speed to me. Smile I was pondering why you were able to get such respectable speed with BTetris and I got stuck with Tetric B, and I think the answer is that I was getting stuck thinking within the strict framework of following every possible Tetris movement rule, including my move+rotate-checking code that made sure things like T-Spins were possible. I must tip my hat to you for succeeding in picking a subset of the mechanics that makes the game still very functional without sacrificing speed.

elfprince13 wrote:
According to Wiktionary, which tifreak8x consulted while writing the article, it's Tetrises. 0x5

Smile Thank you very much for the compliments.

When I took off with it, I figured that doing things in the most simple manner would be the important thing, like making pieces fall and stop, then detecting pieces below the falling, etc. With everything that I do, I build the core for what I want it to do (in the case of BTetris, pieces fall, that's the core of the game) and everything else is modulized into the core and tested individually until it all works. Smile I've always felt that is the best thing a programmer can do, even if my code isn't always that pretty or optimized ^^;

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement you passed on and being one of the few (only?) testers for BTetris that I have had.

@gavin: Thanks! I do my best to please. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours