TI has just issued a press release for their presence at an upcoming conference for math teachers. The conference looks as if it will feature prominently the TI-84 C, and the Nspire Apps for iPad, both of which have previously been covered here at Cemetech. It will also feature the presence of Mayim Bialik, who has taken on an ongoing role as a spokesperson for TI on the importance of good education in the STEM disciplines. Her relationship with TI has previously also been the subject of news coverage here at Cemetech.

Texas Instruments wrote:
Actress Mayim Bialik and Texas Instruments Join Educators to Encourage Strong STEM Education
at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) 2013 Annual Meeting in Denver

Bialik will share her unique journey from child actress to neuroscientist and show how math and science come to life with real-world applications and technology

Interact with TI’s latest math and science education technology at booth #217; join the discussion @TICalculators #MathNspired

DENVER (April 17, 2013) – Texas Instruments (TI) and its brand ambassador – actress and neuroscientist Mayim Bialik – are joining thousands of math educators at the NCTM 2013 Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado, to share innovative new classroom technology including TI-NspireTM Apps for iPad® and the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, as well as educator resources to increase student engagement and achievement in critical STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) subjects.

Bialik, who plays the loveably geeky neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler on the hit TV comedy "The Big Bang Theory," will give the opening keynote about her real-life role as a scientist and teacher tonight at 5:30 p.m. at the Bellco Theatre at the Colorado Convention Center. On Thursday, April 18, Bialik will join an experienced T3 Teachers Teaching with Technology instructor to teach an interactive math lesson with TI-Nspire CX technology at 9:30 a.m. in Four Seasons Room 2/3 at the Colorado Convention Center. She also will make a surprise appearance at the TI booth #217 sometime on Thursday.

Bialik is part of an exciting line-up from TI that showcases technology, online content and T3 professional development that improves math and science teaching and learning. At its booth and in conference sessions, TI will offer hands-on opportunities for teachers to experience the power of the TI-Nspire CX family of math and science technology including graphing handhelds, software and new TI-Nspire Apps for iPad, plus data collection tools for science and hundreds of free Math Nspired and Science Nspired classroom-ready activities. TI will also feature its latest color-screen graphing calculator, the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

In addition, TI will share strategies and best practices from leading math teachers, as well as technology, professional development and free classroom resources for implementing Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in Mathematics. Educators can learn more at the TI CCSS Solutions Booth, which is directly across from the TI booth #217.

"Every year we look forward to NCTM and the unique opportunity to interact with and learn from leading math educators throughout this conference," said Melendy Lovett, president of Texas Instruments Education Technology. "This year we are excited to introduce new professional development and curricular support for implementing Common Core State Standards and Mathematical Practices. Educators will also have the opportunity to get hands-on experience with our newest innovations for math and science teaching and learning. Additionally, we are excited to bring our brand ambassador Mayim Bialik to share her incredible journey and passion for inspiring all students to pursue a strong STEM education – a passion that she shares with TI."

Mayim and TI’s NCTM Highlights at a Glance:

• Mayim Bialik’s Opening Keynote: April 17, 5:30 p.m., Bellco Theatre at the Colorado Convention Center
  • Mayim’s Hands-On TI-Nspire CX Technology Session: April 18, 9:30 a.m., Four Seasons Room 2/3 at the Colorado Convention Center
  • Mayim’s Surprise TI Booth Visit: April 18, TI booth #217
  • Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Booth Showcasing Technology, Tools and Support to Help Districts Meet the Needs of the Common Core Standards and Mathematical Practices: April 18, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., April 19, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., April 20, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. CCSS booth is located directly across from TI booth #217
  • TI-Nspire Apps for iPad Play Area: April 18, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., April 19, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., April 20, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. TI booth #217

Thanks for posting this up, Elfprince13! This particular press release is much more math-and-science-related and less calculator-centric than our usual news articles, but there were sufficient interesting tidbits in it that I felt it was newsworthy. For one thing, TI continues to press on with the TI-Nspire Apps for iPad, and I have yet to hear too much bad about them. Shaun and I enjoyed learning more about the Apps at this year's T^3 conference (including a demo with the much-touted Mayim Bialik), and although I somehow still haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on an iPad running the Apps, word on the street is that Cemetech global moderator and resident visual artist Alex "ComicIDIOT" Glanville is going to give the Apps a thorough review once he gets to try my (Mayim-signed) TI-Nspire CX. Finally, I always like the reminder to our heavily hacking-oriented community about the massive userbase that focuses on the math and science features of the calculator. I know tifreak8x for one has spoken out on his thoughts on programmers balancing creation of entertainment programs with educational programs.
Texas Instruments wrote:
Mayim’s Surprise TI Booth Visit: April 18, TI booth #217

Wait, then how is it a surprise?

BigBangTheory++
AHelper wrote:
Texas Instruments wrote:
Mayim’s Surprise TI Booth Visit: April 18, TI booth #217

Wait, then how is it a surprise?

BigBangTheory++
I think it's a surprise for people who read neither Cemetech nor TI's press release page. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours